Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/17/15
Eugene cruised to a victory, and Mesa secured both games of a doubleheader Monday. Meanwhile, Iowa couldn’t hang on in a loss, and Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend all had the afternoon off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-55)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-7.0)
Iowa allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth to fall to Las Vegas in 12 innings, 5-4.
- SS Javier Baez (.291) collected his third straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with an RBI (48) and a run scored.
- CF Matt Szczur (.296) went 2-for-5 and drew a walk.
- 1B-LF Mike Baxter (.280) went 1-for-4 with a triple, an RBI (15), a walk and one run scored.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (4.85) drew a no-decision despite tossing his third consecutive quality start, giving up one earned run in 7.1 innings.
Eugene Emeralds (11-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene won its third straight contest, topping Boise, 7-4. The Emeralds recorded 14 hits in the victory.
- RF Alex Bautista (.250) went 3-for-4, drove in two (6) and scored once. It marked his first three-hit game of the season.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.269) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (23) and one run scored.
- DH Donnie Dewees (.244) went 2-for-5 and scored once, extending his hitting streak to 10 games (12-for-43/.279).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.277) went 2-for-4 with a double (7), an RBI (17) and a walk.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.270) went 1-for-3 and crushed a two-run homer (1) in the fifth inning.
- SS Andrew Ely (.306) went 2-for-5 and scored once.
- RHP Casey Bloomquist (1.69) tossed 3.2 scoreless innings of relief, surrendering just two hits and fanning four batters. He has allowed just two runs over 10.2 innings with the Emeralds.
Mesa Cubs (10-7)
Arizona Rookie League
Third Place (-1.5)
Mesa swept the doubleheader against the AZL White Sox.
- LF Daniel Spingola (.455) went 2-for-3 with a double (3) and a triple, plated three runs (4), swiped a base and scored twice in Game 1.
- DH Chris Pieters (.364) went 2-for-3 with a double (2), three RBI and one run scored in Game 1.
- 1B Jose Paniagua (.271) went 1-for-3 and crushed a two-run homer (4) in the third inning in Game 2.
- RHP Santiago Rodriguez (3.38) tossed 3.0 shutout innings of relief in Game 2 to earn his first win of the season.