Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/19/15
Cubs affiliates racked up seven victories Wednesday, with every team picking up at least one win. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (68-56)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa scored four runs in the second and cruised to an 8-2 victory at Salt Lake.
- RF John Andreoli (.286) went 3-for-5 with an RBI (28), two stolen bases (26) and two runs scored.
- SS Javier Baez (.302) went 3-for-4, drove in one (49), drew a walk and scored once, extending his hitting streak to five games (.478/11-for-23) with five consecutive multi-hit efforts.
- 2B Chris Valaika (.267) went 2-for-4 with a double (20), an RBI (31) and one run scored.
- DH Tommy La Stella (.300) went 1-for-1, knocked a double (2), plated one (4), drew two walks and scored once.
Tennessee Smokies (25-26)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-6.0)
Tennessee split a doubleheader with Montgomery. The Smokies secured a 7-6 walk-off victory in the ninth inning of the first game, but fell to the Biscuits, 4-2, in a rain-shortened Game 2.
- DH Taylor Davis (.342) blasted a solo homer (5) in Game 1 and went 1-for-2 with an RBI single (12) in Game 2. It extended his hitting streak to six games (8-for-20/.400).
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.255) went 2-for-3 and scored twice in the first game.
- SS Jonathan Mota (.156) finished 1-for-3 and plated two runs (7) in Game 1.
- RHP Felix Pena (4.10) tossed a complete game (5.0 innings) but took the loss.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (32-20)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach swept a doubleheader at Winston-Salem, allowing just three runs in 16.0 innings.
- LF Kevin Brown (.240) crushed a solo home run (4) in Game 1.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.247) went 1-for-3 in Game 1 with an RBI (13) and one run scored.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.272) went 1-for-5 and knocked his 14th double in Game 2.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.62) fanned a season-high seven batters and tossed his sixth quality start.
South Bend Cubs (27-24)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
South Bend won their third straight contest, topping Dayton, 8-3.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.286) went 2-for-4, knocked a triple (4) and plated a season-high-tying four runs (43).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.302) hit a two-run homer (4) in the sixth inning for his lone hit of the day.
- 3B Matt Rose (.353) went 1-for-2 with an RBI (8), two walks and one run scored. He has recorded a hit in his first nine outings with South Bend (12-for-34).
- RHP Trevor Clifton (4.34) tossed his third consecutive quality start and has fanned seven batters in back-to-back starts.
Eugene Emeralds (12-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene scored five runs in the first to roll to an 11-5 victory at Boise. Five Emeralds had doubles and six recorded RBI.
- DH Frandy Delarosa (.274) finished 3-for-6 with a double (19), three RBI (27), a stolen base (10) and a run scored. He has six RBI in his last three games.
- RF Ricardo Marcano (.253) went 3-for-5 with a double (3), two RBI (12) and two runs scored.
- 2B Sutton Whiting (.250) went 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, an RBI, a stolen base and two runs scored.
Mesa Cubs (12-7)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-0.5)
Mesa blanked the AZL Padres, 6-0, despite being outhit 9-8.
- RF Daniel Spingola (.529) went 2-for-3 with a triple (2) and plated two runs (7). He has recorded three consecutive multi-hit efforts with two doubles, two triples and six RBI during that stretch.
- LF Roberto Caro (.242) went 1-for-3, earned an RBI (9) and scored twice.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.455) went 1-for-1 with a double (2) and three walks.
- LHP Carlos Rodriguez (4.21) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief and fanned a season-high eight batters without issuing a single walk.