Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/20/15
Iowa, Eugene and Mesa all won behind strong offensive showings, while Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend each came out on the losing end. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (69-56)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-6.0)
Iowa bested Salt Lake, 13-2. Eight I-Cubs recorded an RBI, and 10 players picked up hits in the victory.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.262) went 3-for-6 with a home run (16), two RBI (71) and three runs scored. He has recorded an RBI in five straight games (six total).
- DH Javier Baez (.303) finished 2-for-6 with a double (13), two RBI (51) and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to six games (.448/13-for-29) with six-consecutive multi-hit efforts.
- 2B Tommy La Stella (.360) went 3-for-5, crushed a triple, drove in one (5) and scored once.
- 1B Mike Olt (.246) recorded a two-run homer (7) and a double (13), finishing 2-for-4 with three runs scored.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.303) went 2-for-5 and hit his fifth homer, a two-run shot in the fifth.
- SS Chris Valaika (.270) went 2-for-5, hit an RBI double (21) and scored once.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (2.98) has earned a win in four straight outings.
Tennessee Smokies (25-27)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Tennessee surrendered a season-high 17 runs, falling to Montgomery, 17-4.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.245) compiled a 2-for-5 day with a two-run homer (5), a triple (8) and two runs scored.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.258) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.288) each went 2-for-4 with a double. Rademacher extended his hitting streak to five games (8-for-20/.400)
- 1B-P Wes Darvill (.169) finished 1-for-4, plated two (23) and scored once. He also made his first career pitching appearance, tossing a scoreless inning of relief while allowing just one hit.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (32-21)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
Myrtle Beach allowed three runs in the final two frames, falling at Winston-Salem, 5-4, in walk-off fashion.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.274) went 2-for-5 with a double (15), an RBI (25) and a run scored.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.259) finished 2-for-4 and drove in one run (14).
- C Victor Caratini (.244) went 2-for-4.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.274) went 1-for-5, knocked a double (23), earned a RBI (49) and scored once.
- RHP Daury Torrez (3.93) recorded his fourth straight 6.0-inning outing and 11th quality start.
South Bend Cubs (27-25)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
South Bend saw its three-game winning streak snapped, falling to Dayton, 7-2.
- DH Ian Happ (.294) had a 2-for-3 day with a triple (2), an RBI (18), a walk and a run scored.
- RF Jeffry Baez (.278) went 2-for-5 and scored once, extending his hitting streak to four games (.444/8-for-18).
- 2B David Bote (.259) finished 1-for-4 with an RBI (36).
Eugene Emeralds (13-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene’s offense recorded its second straight double-digit output, rolling to a 12-5 victory over Salem-Keizer.
- DH Eloy Jimenez (.278) went 2-for-6 with a home run (4), three RBI (22) and two runs scored. He has collected an RBI in four consecutive games.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.281) went 2-for-6 with two RBI (29) and two runs scored. He extended his hitting streak to six games (11-for-30/.367) with eight RBI during that stretch.
- RF Alex Bautista (.277) finished 3-for-4 with an RBI (7), a walk and two runs scored.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.257) went 2-for-6 with an RBI (25), a stolen base (11) and two runs scored. He has a 13-game hitting streak (.322/19-for-59) with 15 runs scored.
Mesa Cubs (13-7)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
Mesa blanked the AZL D-backs, 11-0. The AZL Cubs outhit their opponents, 18-4.
- RHP Austyn Willis (3.05) gave up one hit in 4.0 innings, striking out two in the no-decision.
- 3B Carlos Jimenez (.221) went 3-for-5 with a double (4), drove in three runs (9) and scored twice.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.262) recorded a season-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with a double (6), an RBI (16), a stolen base (5) and one run scored.
- LF-CF Roberto Caro (.253) went 2-for-4, drew a walk and scored a season-high three runs.
- C Yohan Matos (.158) recorded his first three-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a double (2) and two RBI (11).
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.287) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (23), a walk and two runs scored.