Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/23/15
Myrtle Beach mounted a late-inning comeback, South Bend snapped a losing streak, and Mesa took the win in extras on Sunday. Only Eugene lost, and they did so surrendering a lead in extras. Iowa had the day off, while Tennessee was rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (34-22)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
The Pelicans scored four runs in the ninth and contained Frederick’s late rally, topping the Keys, 9-7.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.258) enjoyed a 3-for-5 day with two home runs (6), four RBI (20) and three runs scored. He has homered in back-to-back games and extended his hitting streak to five games (.444/8-for-18).
- C Victor Caratini (.244) went 2-for-4 with a double (25) and a two-run homer (4).
- DH Cael Brockmeyer (.247) finished 2-for-4 with a double (6), a two-run homer (3) and two runs scored.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.277) went 2-for-5 with an RBI single (29) and one run scored.
- RHP Brad Markey (1.31) improved to a perfect 6-0 record, earning his third consecutive win and striking out six in 5.2 innings.
South Bend Cubs (28-27)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-8.0)
South Bend snapped a three-game skid, topping Fort Wayne in the series finale, 7-4.
- LF Charcer Burks (.269) finished 3-for-4 with a three-run homer (3) and a stolen base (26).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.279) went 2-for-5 with a double (17), an RBI (27), a stolen base (29) and two runs scored.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.247) had two doubles (16), drove in one (31) and scored once.
- DH Kevin Encarnacion (.272) went 3-for-4, scored twice and swiped two bags (5).
- 2B David Bote (.258) went 1-for-4 and crushed a solo homer in the first inning, extending his hitting streak to six games (8-for-24/.333).
Eugene Emeralds (14-11)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene surrendered two runs in the ninth and ultimately fell to Spokane in the 11th inning, 4-3.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.272) continued his tear with a 2-for-4 day that included a triple and one run scored. He has a 16-game hitting streak (.356/26-for-73) with 18 runs scored in that stretch.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.280) went 1-for-5, knocked a double (8), plated one (24) and scored once, extended his hitting streak to five games (.320/8-for-25).
- SS Andrew Ely (.313) picked up his 12th RBI and added a hit.
Mesa Cubs (14-8)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-0.5)
Mesa scored in the 11th inning to best the AZL Giants, 1-0. Each team recorded just five hits.
- 3B Ho-young Son (.667) went 2-for-3 and drew a walk in his first outing with Mesa.
- LF Roberto Caro (.255) finished 1-for-3 and swiped a base (8).
- DH Carlos Jimenez (.232) and C Marcus Mastrobuoni (.171) each recorded a hit.
- RHP Duane Underwood (0.00) made his second scoreless start with Mesa, allowing just two hits in 3.0 frames.
- RHP Jared Cheek (0.00) tossed 2.0 hitless innings of relief and fanned four batters.