Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/25/15
Myrtle Beach battled from behind, Eugene swept a doubleheader, and Iowa split a twinbill Tuesday. Tennessee, on the other hand, lost a one-run game, and South Bend struggled offensively. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (72-58)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-7.0)
Iowa split a twinbill with Fresno, topping the Grizzlies in Game 1, 3-2, but dropping Game 2, 7-3.
- 3B-SS Javier Baez (.314) went 2-for-7 on the day with one run scored and an RBI (58), extended his hitting streak to 11 games (22-for-49/.448) with 11 runs scored and 11 RBI during that stretch.
- DH Matt Szczur (.292) crushed a solo home run (8) in his lone at-bat in the first game.
- LF Mike Baxter (.275) went 2-for-3 with a triple (2) and two RBI (17) in Game 1.
- 1B Mike Olt (.254) finished 2-for-3 in Game 2.
Tennessee Smokies (28-30)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Tennessee fell at Chattanooga, 4-3, despite outhitting the Lookouts, 11-7.
- C Willson Contreras (.328) went 2-for-4 and drove in one (70), marking his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- DH Taylor Davis (.297) was 2-for-4.
- SS Jonathan Mota (.257) finished 2-for-4 with a double (2) and scored once, extending his hitting streak to six games (10-for-19/.526).
- CF Albert Almora (.268) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (40) and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to six games (.320/8-for-25).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (35-23)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Myrtle Beach scored four runs in the seventh inning to come from behind and top Winston-Salem, 4-2.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.258) went 2-for-3 with a double (6), an RBI (15), a walk and a run scored.
- C Victor Caratini (.247) had a 2-for-4 day and scored once, marking his second straight multi-hit game.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.55) recorded a season-high nine strikeouts versus only one walk in 7.0 frames to pick up the win.
South Bend Cubs (29-28)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
South Bend fell at West Michigan, 7-2. The SB-Cubs were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- Midwest League Prospect of the Year SS Gleyber Torres (.296) went 2-for-4.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.281) was 1-for-3 and plated two runs (45).
- LF Charcer Burks (.266) went 1-for-4 with a double (20).
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.265) finished 1-for-3 and scored once.
Eugene Emeralds (16-11)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene swept a doubleheader against Spokane, recording 11 runs and 20 hits in the two games. The first game was a continuation of the previous night’s contest, which was suspended in the fourth inning.
- LF-DH Eloy Jimenez (.285) went a combined 3-for-7 with three home runs (6), five RBI (27) and three runs scored. It extended his hitting streak to seven games (11-for-32/.344).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.272) finished 2-for-4 with a double (12), a stolen base (15) and two runs scored in Game 2. He has an 18-game hitting streak (29-for-82/.354) with 21 runs scored in that stretch.
- 3B Blake Headley (.221) went a combined 3-for-6 with two doubles (9), an RBI (17) and one run scored.
- 2B P.J. Higgins (.333) was 2-for-4, picked up an RBI and scored once in Game 2.
- 2B-SS Andrew Ely (.320) finished 2-for-4 with a double (9), a triple (2) and one run scored in Game 1.
- RHP Jose Paulino (4.06) earned the win and tossed 4.2 scoreless innings of relief in the first game.