Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/27/15
Iowa edged out a win, Tennessee cruised, and Eugene’s pitching dominated Wednesday. South Bend surrendered a late lead and couldn’t battle back, while Myrtle Beach was rained out and Mesa had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (73-58)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
RHP Carlos Pimentel collected his league-leading 12th victory as Iowa topped visiting Fresno, 3-2.
- 3B Javier Baez (.317) went 2-for-4 with two RBI (60), extending his hitting streak to 12 games (.453/24-for-53) with 11 runs scored and 13 RBI during that stretch.
- CF John Andreoli (.283), 2B Emilio Bonifacio (.250) and C Luke Carlin (.147) all had a hit and a run scored.
- RHP Rafael Soriano (0.00) struck out one batter in a perfect inning of relief in his first rehab appearance with Iowa.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel is 5-0 with a 1.76 ERA (6 ER/30.2 IP) in five August starts.
Tennessee Smokies (29-30)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Tennessee scored five runs in the fourth inning and cruised to an 8-4 victory over host Chattanooga.
- CF Albert Almora (.270) went 2-for-4 with a double (25), a home run (6), two runs scored and a season-high four RBI. He has hit safely in seven straight games (.345/10-for-29).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.282) went 2-for-4 with a double (14), a home run (7), a walk, two runs scored and one RBI (36). He now has three homers in his last eight games.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.259), 2B Stephen Bruno (.268) and 3B Wes Darvill (.176) all had multi-hit games.
- RHP Ryan Williams (3.00) gave up one earned run in 6.0 innings, striking out three and improving to 9-3 on the season. He has won his last four decisions, allowing one earned run or fewer in 6.0 innings in each of those starts.
South Bend Cubs (29-29)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-10.0)
South Bend surrendered three runs in the bottom of the eighth, falling 4-3 at West Michigan.
- DH Charcer Burks (.266) didn’t record a hit, but walked three times and stole a base (27).
- LF Ian Happ (.248) went 1-for-5 with a triple (3), a run scored and an RBI (19).
- LHP Tommy Thorpe allowed just two hits and no earned runs in 7.0 innings. He has a 1.76 ERA in his last seven starts.
Eugene Emeralds (17-11)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene allowed just one hit in a 4-1 victory over visiting Spokane.
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (2.96) struck out a career-high 13 batters and allowed just one hit in seven innings.
- SS Andrew Ely (.321) had the only multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk.
- DH Alex Bautista (.265) finished 1-for-4 with two RBI (11). He has hit safely in three straight games (4-for-11).