Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/27/15
Iowa and Eugene continued their winning ways, and Tennessee rolled to a victory Thursday. But Myrtle Beach and South Bend were defeated in one-run games, while Mesa was rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (74-58)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa has won five of its last six games, after defeating Sacramento, 3-1.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada (3.95) gave up one run in 6.2 innings to get the win.
- 2B Javier Baez (.316) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base (17), extending his hitting streak to 13 games (.439/25-for-57) with 12 runs scored and 13 RBI during that stretch.
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.259) finished 2-for-4 with two RBI (77). He has 12 RBI in his last 11 games.
- SS Chris Valaika (.268) went 2-for-3 with a solo home run.
- 3B Mike Olt (.257) added a multi-hit game, going 2-for-2 with a walk.
Tennessee Smokies (30-30)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
The Smokies claimed the rubber game of a five-game set at Chattanooga, 7-1.
- DH Taylor Davis (.319) went 3-for-4 with a double (7), an RBI (14) and a walk.
- C Willson Contreras (.329) was 2-for-4 with a double (32), two runs scored and two RBI (72). He has four multi-hit games in his last five contests and is batting .363 (37-for-102) in 27 August games.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.287) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (20).
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (4.50) recorded his longest scoreless outing of the season, allowing just four hits in 6.0 innings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (35-24)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Myrtle Beach dropped its series opener against Wilmington, 3-2.
- 2B Chesny Young (.331) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.321/9-for-28) with a 2-for-4 effort.
- C Victor Caratini (.249) went 2-for-4 with a double (26). It was his third-straight multi-hit game.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.252) finished 1-for-4 with a double (18), a run scored and an RBI (65).
- RHP Daury Torrez (3.86) gave up two earned runs and struck out five in 7.0 innings. He has tossed three straight quality starts, posting a 2.84 ERA (6 ER/19.0 IP).
South Bend Cubs (29-30)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-11.0)
South Bend dropped its third straight game, falling 4-3 in the series opener versus Great Lakes.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.277) went 2-for-5. He is batting .376 (38-for-101) in 22 August games.
- 1B David Bote (.259) finished 2-for-4 with an RBI (38).
- CF Charcer Burks (.267) reached three times, going 1-for-2 with a double (21), a run scored and two walks. He has five walks in his last two games after drawing five walks in his previous 19 contests.
- RHP Dillon Maples (3.76) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing two hits and fanning two.
Eugene Emeralds (18-11)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+2.0)
First-place Eugene won its fourth straight game, topping visiting Spokane, 2-1.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.267) went 1-for-3 with a solo home run in the fifth inning to open the scoring.
- SS Andrew Ely (.321) finished 1-for-3 with a walk and scored the game-winning run in the eighth.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (2.09) collected his fifth win, tossing 6.0 innings of relief. He allowed two hits and one run while striking out nine batters. It was his seventh relief outing of at least 4.0 innings.