Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/30/15
Every Cubs affiliate in action picked up a win Sunday, while Myrtle Beach was rained out. Mesa had the day off as Arizona League playoffs begin Monday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (77-58)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-4.0)
Iowa extended its winning streak to five games, topping Sacramento, 9-1. The I-Cubs picked up six doubles in the victory.
- 3B Javier Baez (.324) went 4-for-5, drove in one (61) and scored twice. He extended his season-high hitting streak to 16 games (32-for-72/.444).
- 2B Emilio Bonifacio (.333) also went 4-for-5 with two doubles, plated two runs and scored twice.
- C Taylor Davis (.284) finished 3-for-5 with a double (15) and an RBI (22).
- CF John Andreoli (.282) went 2-for-4, drew a walk, scored three times and stole a base. He leads the team with 29 swiped bags.
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.263) went 2-for-4 with a double (21) and two RBI (82), extending his hitting streak to four games (.389/7-for-18) with seven RBI during that stretch.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (4.17) tossed a season high 8.0 innings and earned his sixth straight win. He struck out seven and walked just one, giving up no earned runs.
Tennessee Smokies (33-30)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-6.0)
Tennessee won its fifth straight game, defeating Jacksonville, 4-3. The Smokies look for the series sweep tonight.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.292) crushed a home run (4), going 2-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored.
- SS Ryan Dent (.249) went 3-for-4, extending his hitting streak to five games (10-for-20/.500).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.267) went 2-for-4, swiped a base (9) and scored once.
- RHP Felix Pena (3.89) snapped his six-game losing streak, earning the win after allowing just three runs (two earned) over 7.0 innings of work.
South Bend Cubs (31-31)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-9.0)
South Bend topped Bowling Green in the series opener, 4-3.
- CF Ian Happ (.246) went 2-for-4 with a homer, a double (7) and two runs scored.
- DH Rashad Crawford (.279) went 1-for-4 with a double (15) and plated his 46th RBI.
- 1B Kevin Encarnacion (.271) earned an RBI (15) despite going 0-for-4.
- RHP Erick Leal (4.04) earned his third consecutive win, tossing 6.0 scoreless frames and giving up two hits.
Eugene Emeralds (19-13)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene avoided the series sweep, besting Hillsboro in the series finale, 10-4.
- DH Ian Rice (.264) went 2-for-4, knocked a double (8) and a homer (2), drove in two (19) and scored twice.
- 1B Blake Headley (.234) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.268) finished 2-for-5, drove in one (28), swiped a base (16) and scored once.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.284) went 2-for-5 and scored once, marking his second straight multi-hit game.
- LHP Carson Sands (3.98) tossed his second quality start of the season, fanning five and giving up one earned run in 6.0 innings.