Cubs Minor League Recap: 9/2/15
Myrtle Beach held on to grab a win, but Iowa, South Bend and Eugene all were on the losing end Wednesday. Tennessee had the day off, while Mesa’s season finished up Tuesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (78-61)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa was officially eliminated from playoff contention, falling 11-3 on the road at Oklahoma City.
- C Taylor Davis (.303) went 3-for-4 with a double (18), a walk, a run scored and an RBI (27). He has hit safely in five straight games (.520/13-for-25), including four three-hit efforts.
- LF Emilio Bonifacio (.429) went 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored and has gone 10-for-15 with five walks and six runs scored in his last four games.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (5.23) tossed a perfect inning of relief, striking out two batters.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (37-26)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-4.0)
Myrtle Beach scored three runs in the sixth inning and held on for a 4-2 victory over Potomac.
- C Victor Caratini (.253) went 1-for-4 with a double (29), two RBI (52) and a run scored.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.000) made his Myrtle Beach debut, going 0-for-2 with a walk.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (2.58) has gone 3-0 with a 0.30 ERA (1 ER/30.0 IP) in his last five starts. He picked up the win Wednesday, pitching 6.0 scoreless innings. He has not allowed a run in 18.0 consecutive innings.
South Bend Cubs (33-32)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-9.0)
South Bend surrendered 15 hits in a 10-1 setback against Dayton.
- LF Charcer Burks (.266) went 2-for-4 with a triple (4) and a run scored. He has five runs in his last three games.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.266) finished 2-for-4 with two doubles (18) and an RBI (43).
- SS Vimael Machin (.165) went 1-for-2 with a walk.
Eugene Emeralds (20-14)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene dropped a 3-2 decision at Salem-Keizer. The Emeralds hold a one-game lead in the division with four games remaining.
- SS Andrew Ely (.315) went 3-for-4 with a double (13). It was his third game with at least three hits.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.268) went 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (14).
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (2.84) gave up one earned run in 6.0 innings. He has allowed one run or fewer in four of his last six starts.