Cubs Minor League Report: 4/8/16
Tennessee claimed a season-opening win behind a boost from the offense, while starting pitching gave Myrtle Beach a lead it wouldn’t surrender Thursday. Iowa and South Bend were both on the losing end. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (0-1)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-3rd Place (-1.0 games back)
Iowa allowed five runs in the third inning as it dropped the season opener to Round Rock, 7-3.
- 3B Kristopher Negron (.750) led the team with three hits, going 3-for-4.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.667) went 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (1).
- C Willson Contreras (.500) added a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4.
- LHP Scott Barnes (2 IP, H, 2 BB, SO) and RHP Brandon Gomes (2 IP, 2 BB, SO) each tossed 2 scoreless frames in relief.
Tennessee Smokies (1-0)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-1st Place (–)
The Smokies blasted three homers as they rolled to a 7-3 Opening Day victory against Mobile.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (3.00 ERA) picked up the win, giving up two earned runs in 6 innings and striking out five.
- 2B Chesny Young (1.000) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with a first-inning solo homer (1) and two walks. He scored two runs and swiped a base.
- C Victor Caratini (.250) went 1-for-4 with a two-run homer (1) in the first inning.
- PH Bijan Rademacher (1.000) hit a pinch-hit solo homer (1) in the sixth inning.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.500) finished 2-for-4 with two stolen bases (2).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.333) recorded a hit with a walk and two runs scored.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.333) went 1-for-3 with a double, walk and two RBI (2).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (1-0)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-1st Place (–)
Myrtle Beach opened its 2016 campaign with a 5-2 home victory over Frederick.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (1.80) surrendered one earned run in 5 innings to pick up the win.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.250) went 1-for-4 with a double, an RBI (1) and two runs scored.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.333) added a double, going 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- RHP Daury Torrez (2 IP, H, R, SO) did not allow an earned run in 2 innings, and RHP Dave Berg (IP, H, 2 SO) earned his first save of the season.
South Bend Cubs (0-1)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-6th Place (-1.0)
South Bend fell behind 8-0 after three frames and could not come back, losing 9-4 to West Michigan.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.500) went 2-for-4 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (1).
- RF Eddy Martinez (.500) also went 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.400), C P.J. Higgins (.400) and SS Andrew Ely (.667) all added two-hit games. South Bend combined for 12 hits, including 11 singles.
- LHP Kyle Twomey (4 IP, 3 H, ER, BB, 7 SO) fanned seven batters in relief, allowing just one run on three hits.