Cubs Minor League Report: 4/10/16
Myrtle Beach edged out its opponent Saturday, but Iowa and Tennessee couldn’t do enough to secure victories. South Bend’s game was snowed out and will be made up as part of a doubleheader on June 4. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (0-4)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-3.0 games back)
Iowa surrendered seven runs in the eighth inning to fall 10-4 to Round Rock. Iowa was swept in its season-opening four-game set.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.333) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- CF John Andreoli (.250) and 1B Dan Vogelbach (.333) each went 1-for-4 with two RBI. Andreoli also recorded a walk.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 3 SO) struck out three batters in a perfect ninth frame.
Tennessee Smokies (2-2)
Southern Division (Double-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
The Smokies mustered just four hits in a 4-1 setback against Mobile.
- C David Freitas (.600) went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Tyler Skulina (1.50 ERA) allowed just one run in 6 innings in his season debut but took the loss. He struck out three and walked one while surrendering just four hits.
- RHP David Garner (1 IP, H, BB, 3 SO) fanned three batters in a scoreless inning of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (2-2)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-First Place (–)
The Pelicans evened up their record at 2-2, defeating visiting Frederick, 7-5.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.375) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI (2).
- LF Shawon Dunston Jr. (.300) hit a go-ahead bases-clearing triple in the fourth inning. He finished 2-for-4 with three RBI (3).
- 2B Ian Happ (.214) went 1-for-4 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (1).
- LHP Jordan Minch (2 IP, H, 2 BB, 2 SO) did not allow a run in two scoreless innings.