Cubs Minor League Report: 4/12/16
South Bend won in walk-off fashion for the second straight night, but Tennessee and Myrtle Beach both fell in one-run games on Tuesday. Iowa couldn’t hang on either. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (1-5)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-4.0 games back)
Iowa fell for the fifth time in its first six games, dropping a 4-2 decision at home to New Orleans.
- RHP Ryan Williams (7.88 ERA) gave up one earned run in 5 innings of work, striking out three in the no-decision.
- LF Javier Baez went 0 for 4 in his second rehab appearance but recorded an outfield assist, throwing out a runner at home on a single. He played six innings in left field before moving to second base.
- C Willson Contreras (.478) extended his season-opening hitting streak to six games (11 for 23), going 2 for 4 with a double (3) and a run scored.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.381) went 1 for 3 with a solo homer (1) in the third inning. He’s 5 for 10 in his last three games.
Tennessee Smokies (2-4)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-2.5)
Tennessee surrendered a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth, falling 5-4 at Birmingham.
- 2B Ryan Dent (.333) collected his first three hits of the season, going 3 for 4 with a run scored.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.150) drove in two runs (2), going 1 for 4 with a walk and a double (1).
- 1B Taylor Davis (.294) went 1 for 4 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (3).
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (3 IP, BB, SO) tossed 3 scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (3-3)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-First Place (–)
Myrtle Beach fell 4-3 at home to Winston-Salem. The Pelicans allowed all four runs in the third inning.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.412) finished a triple shy of the cycle, going 3 for 5 with a double (1), homer (1), two runs scored and one RBI (1). He has a four-game hitting streak to begin his season.
- 2B Ian Happ (.292) also recorded a three-hit game, going 3 for 5 with a double (3) and two RBI (5).
- RHP James Farris (3 IP, 4 SO) fanned four batters in 3 perfect innings.
South Bend Cubs (3-2)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Fourth Place (-0.5)
South Bend won in walk-off fashion for the second-straight day as Eddy Martinez was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th, lifting the Cubs to a 3-2 victory.
- LHP Carson Sands (3.60 ERA) fanned four while giving up two earned runs in 5 innings.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.333) went 4 for 5 with a double (1), an RBI (3) and two stolen bases (2).
- DH Donnie Dewees (.381) went 2 for 4 with a triple (2), a walk, two runs scored and a stolen base (2). It marked his third-straight multi-hit game.
- LHP Kyle Twomey (2 IP, H, 2 SO) and RHP Casey Bloomquist (2 IP, 3 H, SO) each tossed 2 scoreless innings of relief.