Cubs Minor League Report: 4/13/16
Offenses carried Iowa and Tennessee, while South Bend continued on its winning ways Wednesday. Myrtle Beach came up short, allowing two runs in the ninth. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (2-5)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-3.0 games back)
Iowa tallied 13 hits in a 9-5 victory over New Orleans.
- RHP Stephen Fife (4.91 ERA) tossed 4.1 scoreless innings, giving up two hits while striking out one.
- SS Javier Baez went 1 for 4 with a run scored in his third rehab appearance. He has gone 2 for 11 with a solo homer in his first three games.
- 3B Logan Watkins (.278) finished 4 for 4 with a double (1), a run scored, three RBI (3) and a stolen base (1).
- CF Juan Perez (.267) went 3 for 3 with two doubles (2), one run scored and three RBI (4).
- LF Albert Almora (.222) reached base twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk and three runs scored.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.250) went 1 for 4 with a walk and a solo homer, his first of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (3-4)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-1.5)
Tennessee scored three runs in the fourth and sixth innings, cruising to a 7-3 victory over Birmingham.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (0.82 ERA) tossed six scoreless innings, striking out six while scattering four hits in the win. He has allowed one run in 11 innings to begin the season.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.529) went 3 for 5 with a three-run homer (2), two runs scored and four RBI (5). He has hit safely in all six games this season (9 for 17).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.231) tallied his first multi-hit game of the season, going 3 for 4 with a walk and run scored.
- 1B Taylor Davis (.333), LF Anthony Giansanti (.286) and SS Carlos Penalver (.174) all recorded two-hit games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (3-4)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach allowed two runs in the ninth inning and lost 4-2 at home to Winston-Salem.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.381) and DH Shawon Dunston Jr. (.294) each went 1 for 4 with a double, a walk and run scored.
- 2B Ian Happ (.296) went 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (6).
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (2.25 ERA) surrendered two earned runs in seven innings, striking out three. He has allowed three earned runs in 12 innings this season has allowed just four runs in his last 43 innings pitched, dating back to last season.
South Bend Cubs (4-2)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Third Place (-0.5)
South Bend won its fourth straight game, topping Bowling Green, 6-5.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.440) recorded his fourth straight multi-hit game, going 3 for 4 with a double (2), a run scored and three RBI (6).
- 2B Sutton Whiting (.500) finished 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (1) in his first game with South Bend.
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.375) went 2 for 3 with a run scored and RBI (2).
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (1.1 IP, SO) picked up his first save of the season, retiring all four batters he faced.