Cubs Minor League Report: 4/14/16
Iowa was the only victorious Cubs affiliate on Thursday, as Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend were all on the losing side for a variety of reasons. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (3-5)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-2.0 games back)
Iowa defeated New Orleans, 4-2, to claim the four-game set, three games to one.
- LF Javier Baez (.267) went 2 for 4 with a run scored and a stolen base in his fourth rehab appearance. He finished his stint 4 for 15 with a solo homer, three runs scored and a stolen base in his four games.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.407) collected his third multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a run and an RBI (6).
- CF Albert Almora (.286) and SS Kristopher Negron (.400) each added two hits.
- RHP Brandon Gomes (2 IP, 2 BB, 4 SO) collected his first win, tossing two scoreless frames.
Tennessee Smokies (3-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-1.5)
Tennessee surrendered five unanswered runs, falling 5-3 at Birmingham.
- RHP Brad Markey (1.80 ERA) surrendered two earned runs in five innings of work, striking out one in the no-decision.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.316) went 1 for 3 with two runs scored and a walk.
- 1B David Freitas (.444) went 1 for 4 with two RBI (2).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario recorded the Smokies’ lone extra-base hit with a double.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (3-5)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
The Pelicans committed three errors in a 3-2 setback at Carolina.
- DH Jason Vosler (.240) went 2 for 4 with a double (2), a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (3).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.280) finished 2 for 4 with a double (2), an RBI (1) and a stolen base (5).
- 3B David Bote (.308) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks.
- RHP Daury Torrez (1.1 IP, 2 SO) struck out two in 1.1 perfect innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (4-3)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Fourth Place (-1.5)
South Bend allowed eight runs in the first two innings, dropping a 10-2 decision at Fort Wayne.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.464) recorded his fifth straight multi-hit game, going 2 for 3 with two triples (4), two runs scored and a walk. He has batted .550 (11-for-20) in the last five games.
- C Tyler Alamo (.455) added a multi-hit effort, going 2 for 3. He has hit safely in all three games he has played in.
- RHP Scott Effross (3 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 SO) allowed one run in three innings of relief.