Cubs Minor League Report: 4/18/16
Tennessee pitching dominated, Myrtle Beach kept its win streak alive, and South Bend capitalized on a big inning Monday. Meanwhile, wet grounds postponed Iowa’s game at Round Rock. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league action.
Tennessee Smokies (5-7)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-2.5)
The Smokies allowed just three hits in a 4-0 blanking of visiting Montgomery.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (0.50 ERA) picked up the win, giving up just two hits in seven innings and striking out three. He has not allowed a run in his last two starts (13 IP).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.211) recorded his second straight multi-hit game, going 2 for 3 with a double (1), a walk and three RBI (7). He has five RBI in the last two games.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.250) reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks and a stolen base (1).
- 2B Chesny Young (.256) went 1 for 3 with two walks and two stolen bases (3).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (6-6)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-2.0)
Myrtle Beach won its third straight game, topping host Winston-Salem, 6-4.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (4.35 ERA) gave up one earned run in 5.1 innings, striking out two for the win.
- 2B Ian Happ (.313) went 4 for 5 with two homers, four RBI and a stolen base (3). He is 6 for 8 with four runs scored in his last two games.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.325) extended his hitting streak to seven games (11 for 26), going 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (6). He has reached base in all 12 games this season.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.333) recorded his second straight multi-hit game, going 2 for 3 with a triple (2) and a run scored.
- RHP Dave Berg (2 IP, 1 SO) collected his second save, tossing two scoreless innings. He has not allowed a run in 6.1 innings this season.
South Bend Cubs (6-5)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-Fourth Place (-1.5)
South Bend scored six runs in the fourth inning and cruised to a 9-3 victory over visiting Bowling Green.
- LHP Carson Sands (3.60 ERA) gave up two earned runs in five innings in the win. He struck out two.
- RF Daniel Spingola (.357) went 3 for 5 with a run scored and two stolen bases (2). He has hit safely in six of seven games this season.
- C P.J. Higgins (.250) went 2 for 5 with a double (3), a run scored and two RBI (5).
- 3B Andrew Ely (.212) added a multi-hit effort, going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- DH Matt Rose (.111) connected on a two-run homer in the fourth inning, his first of the season. He went 1 for 4.
- All nine starters either scored a run or drove in a run.