Cubs Minor League Report: 4/19/16
Only Tennessee picked up a win Tuesday, as Iowa fell behind early, Myrtle Beach lost in walk-off fashion, and South Bend left too many on base. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league action:
Iowa Cubs (4-7)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-4.0)
Iowa fell behind 6-0 after three innings and could not claw back, falling 7-5 at New Orleans.
- CF Albert Almora (.324) went 3 for 4 with a run scored, an RBI (4) and a stolen base (1). He has hit safely in five straight games (8 for 19).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.262) went 3 for 5 with a triple (1), a run scored and a stolen base (3).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.405) reached base three times, going 1 for 3 with a double (4), two walks and two runs scored. He has hit safely in 10 of 11 games and has a .500 OBP in 44 plate appearances.
- C Willson Contreras (.421) scored a run in his fifth straight game, going 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (5).
Tennessee Smokies (6-7)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-3.0)
The Smokies tallied nine runs on just seven hits in a 9-3 win over visiting Montgomery. The Smokies have won back-to-back contests for the first time this season.
- DH Bijan Rademacher (.452) led the offense, going 2 for 4 with two homers (4) and four RBI, including a three-run shot in the fourth inning. Earlier in the week, Rademacher was named Southern League Player of the Week for April 7-17.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.182) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks, two runs scored and an RBI (2).
- 2B Chesny Young (.262) went 1 for 3 with two runs scored and two stolen bases (5), his second straight game with two steals.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (6-7)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-3.0)
Myrtle Beach blew a three-run, eighth-inning lead, falling in walk-off fashion in the ninth, 6-5, at Winston-Salem. The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for the Pelicans.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (2.50 ERA) gave up two earned runs in six innings, striking out two in the no-decision.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.130) went 1 for 4 with his first homer of the season, a solo shot in the first.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.278) also recorded his first longball, going 2 for 4 with a solo homer.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.341) added a multi-hit effort, going 2 for 4 with a run scored. It extended his hitting streak to eight games (.433/13 for 30).
South Bend Cubs (6-6)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-Fourth Place (-2.5)
South Bend collected 12 hits but just one run in a 12-1 setback at home vs. Bowling Green.
- 3B Andrew Ely (.270) went 3 for 4 with a double (1), in his second straight multi-hit game.
- RF Daniel Spingola (.394) extended his hitting streak to four games (9 for 18), going 3 for 5.
- DH P.J. Higgins (.278) went 2 for 4 with a run scored and a walk.
- C Ian Rice (.400) also went 2 for 4.