Cubs Minor League Report: 4/21/16
Myrtle Beach picked up a big win in walk-off fashion, while South Bend also came out on top Thursday. Tennessee couldn’t get the bats going in a loss, and Iowa’s game was suspended due to rain.
Tennessee Smokies (6-9)
Southern league (Double-A)
Third Place (-4.5)
The Smokies could not muster an extra-base hit and fell to Montgomery, 8-1.
- C Taylor Davis (.308) was 2 for 2 with a sacrifice fly and an RBI (6). This marks his second multi-hit game of the season.
- 1B Victor Caratini (.200) finished 1 for 4 with a run scored. He has a nine-game on-base streak, with nine walks over the stretch.
- DH Bijan Rademacher (.410) went 1 for 4 to extend his 14-game hitting streak. He leads the Southern League in batting average.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (8-7)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
Yasiel Balaguert hit a walk-off three-run homer to lift Myrtle Beach to a 6-5 victory over Carolina.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (4.15 ERA) gave up one earned run in 5.1 innings of work, striking out two.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.306) went 3 for 4 with his walk-off homer, two runs scored, four RBI (12) and a walk. His 12 RBI this season are third-most in the Carolina League.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.327) was 2 for 4 with one RBI (7). It’s his fifth multi-hit game of the year.
- LF Shawon Dunston Jr. (.190) collected a pair of extra-base hits, going 2 for 4 with a double (3) and a triple (3).
- RHP Jose Rosario (2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 SO) picked up his second win of the season, pitching a pair of scoreless frames. The right-hander has not allowed a run in his 5.1 innings of work this year.
South Bend Cubs (8-6)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Fourth Place (-1.5)
South Bend won its second straight game, collecting nine hits in a 7-2 victory over Fort Wayne.
- LHP Ryan Kellogg (2.35) surrendered just three hits and no earned runs in six innings. He fanned three batters in the win.
- DH Eddy Martinez (.245) was 2 for 4 with a homer, two RBI (9) and two runs scored. It’s his second straight two-hit game.
- SS Bryant Flete (.314) went 3 for 4 with a double (2) and pair of RBI (6). It’s his first three-hit game of the season.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (1.2 IP, 2 SO) picked up his second save of the season. He’s holding opposing batters to a .094 average against (3-for-32).