Cubs Minor League Report: 4/24/16
Tennessee cruised to a win, Myrtle Beach made the most of its hits, and South Bend claimed a victory in extras on Sunday. Iowa couldn’t complete the day’s sweep. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (6-10)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-5.0)
Iowa dropped its second straight game, allowing 14 hits in a 13-5 setback against Oklahoma City.
- C Tim Federowicz (.310) went 1 for 3 with a walk and a three-run homer (1). He has scored a run in three straight games.
- 3B Kristopher Negron (.302) went 2 for 4 with a solo homer, his second longball of the season.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.269) added a multi-hit effort, going 2 for 4 with an RBI (5).
Tennessee Smokies (9-9)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-2.5)
Tennessee evened up its season record at 9-9 with a 9-4 victory over Mobile. It was the Smokies’ third straight win.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.239) went 3 for 5 with a homer (3), two runs scored and a stolen base (7). He is 6 for 14 with two homers in the first three games of the series.
- 2B Chesny Young (.344) also tallied three hits, going 3 for 5 with two runs scored, one RBI (5) and a stolen base (8). Young has gone 10 for 19 with five walks in his last five games.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.396) and LF Mark Zagunis (.240) each finished 1 for 3 with two walks.
- RHP Starling Peralta (1 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) and LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) each tossed scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (10-8)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach scored four runs on just three hits in a 4-2 win over visiting Carolina.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.301) went 1 for 3 with two RBI (15).
- 2B Ian Happ (.313) drew three walks in four plate appearances and drove in a run (15).
- CF Trey Martin (.143) finished 0 for 1, but he recorded two walks and two runs scored.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (3.45 ERA) gave up one earned run in 5.1 innings, fanning five in the win. He has allowed just two earned runs in 10.2 innings over his last two starts.
South Bend Cubs (11-6)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
South Bend rallied for its fifth straight win, scoring a run in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game before winning in walk-off fashion in the 10th, 7-6 over Fort Wayne. The Cubs trailed 6-0 in the fifth inning.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.277) went 3 for 6 with a run scored and two RBI (11), including the game-winning single in the bottom of the 10th. He has hit safely in five straight games (8 for 20).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.369) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 5 with a walk, a triple (5), two runs scored and two RBI (13). It was his third straight multi-hit game.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.276) and SS Bryant Flete (.319) each had two hits and a run scored.
- LHP John Williamson (2.1 IP, 1 H) and RHP Craig Brooks (2.1 IP, 2 H, 4 SO) combined for 4.2 scoreless innings of relief.