Cubs Minor League Report: 4/25/16
Iowa and Tennessee were the only Cubs affiliates in action Monday, and both managed to pick up wins. Myrtle Beach and South Bend had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (7-10)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-5.0)
Seven I-Cubs batters recorded multi-hit games as Iowa rolled to a 13-6 victory over Oklahoma City.
- LF John Andreoli (.210) connected on his first two homers of the season, going 3 for 5 with two runs scored and a career-high four RBI (10). It marked his first career multi-homer game.
- CF Albert Almora (.333) also had a three-hit game, going 3 for 5 with a double (4), two runs scored and an RBI (8). He has three three-hit efforts in his last seven games.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.352) went 2 for 3 with a three-run homer, two walks, three runs scored and three RBI (14).
- RF Ryan Kalish (.390), C Willson Contreras (.375), 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.255) and SS Kristopher Negron (.310) all added multi-hit efforts to lead Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (10-9)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-1.5)
The Smokies claimed their fourth straight victory, topping host Mobile, 6-5.
- 1B Victor Caratini (.235) went 2 for 4 with a double (3), a walk and a career-high four RBI. He hit a two-run double in the sixth inning to give Tennessee the lead.
- 2B Chesny Young (.359) reached base four times, going 2 for 3 with a triple (1), two walks, one run scored and a stolen base (9). Prior to the game, he was named Southern League Player of the Week for April 18-24 after batting .480 (12-for-25) with a double, two RBI, seven walks and seven stolen bases in seven games.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.243) finished 1 for 3 with a double (5), two walks, two runs scored and a stolen base (8). He has hit safely in four straight games and nine of the last 10.
- RHP Paul Blackburn was named Southern League Pitcher of the Week for April 18-24 after going 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER/15.0 IP) in two starts.