Cubs Minor League Report: 5/2/16
Myrtle Beach and South Bend both picked up wins, while Tennessee salvaged a split in its doubleheader Monday. Iowa was on the losing end of its game. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (9-13)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-5.5)
Iowa opened up its four-game series at Nashville with a 5-1 setback.
- C Willson Contreras (.353) hit a solo homer in the eighth inning, his first of the season.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.254) went 2 for 3 with a walk. He’s hit safely in 13 of 19 games this year.
- RHP Felix Pena (2 IP, 1 BB, 4 SO) struck out four batters in two scoreless innings. It’s the sixth time in seven outings this season in which he has spun two scoreless frames out of the bullpen.
Tennessee Smokies (13-12)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
The Smokies split their doubleheader at Biloxi, falling 3-2 in Game 1 before claiming a 4-1 extra-inning victory (eight innings) in Game 2.
- RHP Tyler Skulina (4.07 ERA) allowed no earned runs in five innings, striking out two in the first game.
- RF Billy McKinney (.219) collected a hit in both games, going a combined 2 for 5 a walk, two runs scored and a stolen base (1).
- LF Mark Zagunis (.250) hit a game-winning homer (1) in the eighth inning of Game 2 and finished the day 2 for 5 with a walk.
- PH Kelly Dugan (.143) added a pinch-hit two run homer (1) later in the inning.
- C Victor Caratini (.265) had the only multi-hit game in either contest, going 2 for 3 in Game 2.
- RHP Corey Black (1 IP, 1 BB) picked up his second save of the season in Game Two.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (12-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-3.0)
Myrtle Beach snapped a two-game losing skid, prevailing 3-2 in 11 innings at Winston-Salem.
- RHP Jake Stinnett (1.99) fanned three in five innings, giving up no earned runs.
- DH Charcer Burks (.179) reached base three times, going 1 for 4 with two walks.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.290) started the scoring, hitting a two-run homer in the first (1) inning. He has three multi-RBI games in his last six contests.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.321) went 2 for 4 with a double (5) and the game-winning run in the 11th. He has hit safely in four straight games.
- RHP David Berg (2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 SO) collected his second win, tossing 2.1 scoreless innings.
South Bend Cubs (14-9)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend tossed its first shutout of the season, blanking visiting Wisconsin, 3-0.
- LHP Carson Sands (4.43) tossed a season-high six innings, striking out four and allowing three hits and three walks in the win.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.294) collected his second straight multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a double (7), a run scored and a stolen base (3).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.438) finished 2 for 3 with an RBI (2). He has hit safely in all five games with South Bend, going 7 for 16.
- RHP Preston Morrison (3 IP, 1 H, 5 SO) tossed three scoreless innings in his first relief outing of the season to collect the save.