Cubs Minor League Report: 5/3/16
Iowa edged out a win, and Myrtle Beach got it going with the bats Tuesday. South Bend had one bad inning in a one-run loss, while Tennessee had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (10-13)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-4.5)
The I-Cubs scratched across just four hits but were able to top Nashville, 2-1.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.253) went 1 for 4 with a go-ahead two-run homer in the seventh inning (2) and a stolen base (6). He has hit safely in 14 of 20 games this year.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.338) added a hit and a run scored.
- C Taylor Davis (.286) went 1 for 3 with a walk. He’s hit safely in eight straight games (between Double-A and Triple-A).
- RHP Ryan Williams (4.38 ERA) gave up just one earned run in six innings of work to pick up the win. He has allowed one or fewer runs in three of his five starts this season.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 1 BB, 1 SO) recorded his third save of the year and has yet to allow a run in his 10 innings of work this season.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (13-11)
Carolina League (Single-A)
Second Place (-3.5)
Myrtle Beach collected seven extra-base hits en route to a 5-2 victory over Winston-Salem.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (3.30 ERA) secured the win with six innings of one-run ball, striking out four.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.198) started the scoring, hitting a solo homer in the first inning (2). He went 2 for 4 with an RBI (9), a run scored and a walk.
- DH Shawon Dunston Jr. (.211) reached base four times, going 3 for 4 with two doubles (5), a triple (3), an RBI (4) and a walk.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.325) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- RHP Jose Rosario (1.1 IP) notched his second save of the year with 1.1 innings of perfect baseball.
South Bend Cubs (14-10)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
South Bend allowed five runs in the eighth inning to suffer a 5-4 setback to Wisconsin.
- DH Matt Rose (.164) hit a solo homer (2) in the fourth inning.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.228) finished 1 for 3 with an RBI (14), a run scored, a walk and a stolen base (2).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.292) has hit safely in 10 out of his last 11 games, going 1 for 4 with a double (8), an RBI (13) and a run scored.
- LHP Ryan Kellogg (2.30 ERA) pitched six scoreless innings, striking out five and walking none in the no-decision. He has allowed zero runs in three out of his five starts this season.