Cubs Minor League Report: 5/4/16
Iowa got a big game from one of its top prospects, and Myrtle Beach grabbed a shutout victory Wednesday. Tennessee surrendered the lead late, while South Bend gave up one big inning in a loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (11-13)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.5)
Dan Vogelbach recorded five RBI, including a grand slam, as Iowa defeated host Nashville, 8-4.
- RHP Jake Buchanan (4.41 ERA) picked up the win, striking out six in six innings and giving up one earned run.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.354) went 3 for 5 with a go-ahead grand slam in the sixth inning, five RBI (21) and two runs scored. He has hit safely in nine of his last 10 games.
- C Willson Contreras (.338) did not record an official at-bat, picking up four walks and two runs scored. He already has two games this season with four walks drawn.
- RF John Andreoli (.202) went 1 for 3 with a walk and two RBI (13).
Tennessee Smokies (13-13)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Tennessee allowed a game-winning run in the top of the ninth to fall to Mississippi, 8-7.
- 1B Kelly Dugan (.167) went 1 for 5 with a three-run homer (2) in the fifth inning.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.231) had a multi-hit affair, going 2 for 4 with a double (5). He also knocked in his 12th run of the season, a team-high.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.240) finished 1 for 4 and hit his team-leading sixth double of the season. He also knocked in a run (11) and drew a walk.
- RHP Josh Conway (2 IP, 2 SO) tossed a pair of perfect innings while striking out two in relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (14-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-3.5)
Myrtle Beach blanked host Winston-Salem, 3-0, to finish off a three-game sweep.
- RHP Zach Hedges (1.69 ERA) tossed seven scoreless, striking out five and allowing just three hits in the win.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.178) went 2 for 4 with two RBI (7).
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.290) finished 2 for 4 with a double (2) and an RBI (21). His 21 RBI lead the team.
- DH Shawon Dunston Jr. (.233) added a two-hit game, going 2 for 3 with a run scored, walk and stolen base (3).
South Bend Cubs (14-11)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
South Bend surrendered four fourth-inning runs and dropped a 4-2 decision against Wisconsin.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.267) led the team with three hits, going 3 for 4 with a run scored. It was his second three-hit game of the season.
- C Tyler Alamo (.333) went 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI (8).
- RHP Casey Bloomquist (3 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) has not allowed a run in his last four relief appearances (13.0 IP), all of which have been at least three innings.
- RHP Scott Effross (2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO) and RHP James Norwood (1 IP, 1 SO) combined for three scoreless innings of relief.