Cubs Minor League Report: 5/8/16
Iowa held on for the win, and Tennessee claimed a shutout victory Sunday. Myrtle Beach fell in extras, while South Bend had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (14-14)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-2.5)
Iowa surrendered three runs in the ninth inning, but held on for a 6-5 victory over host Omaha.
- RHP Ryan Williams (3.86 ERA) fanned five in eight innings, giving up two earned runs in the win.
- LF Kristopher Negron (.305) went 2 for 3 with three RBI (14), his second three-RBI game in his last three contests.
- CF Albert Almora (.318) finished 2 for 5 with a run scored. He has now hit safely in five straight games.
- DH Willson Contreras (.349) was 2 for 3 with a hit-by-pitch and an RBI (13).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.250) went 1 for 4 with a solo homer (3) in the fourth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (15-15)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-4.0)
The Smokies tossed their third shutout of the year, blanking visiting Mississippi, 2-0.
- RHP Brad Markey (2.64 ERA) tossed five scoreless innings, fanning three in the win.
- 1B Anthony Giansanti (.229) went 2 for 3 with an RBI (3).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.202) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a double (8) and run scored. He has hit safely in four straight games (5 for 16), with doubles in three straight contests.
- RHP Corey Black (1 IP, 1 SO) picked up his fourth save and has not allowed a run in his last four outings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (15-14)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
Myrtle Beach rallied to tie the game with two runs in the ninth, but fell in 13 innings, 6-5 at Wilmington.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.223) went 3 for 5 with a game-tying two-run homer in the ninth inning, a walk and three runs scored. It marked his second straight multi-hit game and first three-hit game this season. He is 8 for 21 in his last five games.
- 2B Ian Happ (.280) also tallied three hits, going 3 for 5 with a walk, double (7), run scored and stolen base (5).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.316) went 2 for 4 with an RBI (11).
- RHP James Farris (2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He has allowed just two earned runs in 18 innings this season (1.00 ERA).