Cubs Minor League Report: 5/10/16
Myrtle Beach picked up the win behind another strong starting effort, and South Bend secured a split in a doubleheader Tuesday. Iowa couldn’t hang on, and Tennessee lost in walk-off fashion again. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (15-15)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-2.0)
Iowa struck first, scoring three in the second frame, but Nashville came back to beat the I-Cubs, 8-5.
- C Miguel Montero (.000) went 0 for 3 in his first rehab appearance.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.250) knocked in four runs (4), going 2 for 4 with a three-run homer (4) and a run scored.
- RF Shane Victorino (.294) went 2 for 4 with a triple (1), an RBI (4) and a run scored.
- CF Albert Almora (.319) went 2 for 5 with a stolen base (4) and a run. He has hit in seven straight.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 1 BB, 1 SO) has not allowed a run in 11 appearances at Triple-A.
Tennessee Smokies (15-17)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.0)
The Smokies lost in walk-off fashion for the second straight day, falling 4-3 (11 inn.) at Montgomery.
- RHP Duane Underwood Jr. (3.86 ERA) fanned six and gave up two earned runs in five innings for the no-decision.
- RF Billy McKinney (.215) went 3 for 4 with a walk, a double (3), a run scored and an RBI (7).
- 1B Kelly Dugan (.280) went 2 for 4 with a double (1), a solo homer (5) and two runs scored. He has five homers in his last eight games and has driven in a run in eight of 10 games this season.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (2 IP, 3 SO) tossed two scoreless innings, striking out three. He has not allowed a run in 10 appearances this season (17.2 IP), surrendering just five hits.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (16-14)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
The Pelicans notched 11 hits and stole six bases en route to a 5-2 victory over Winston-Salem.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.324) was 2 for 4 with a triple (2), two RBI (13) and a run scored. He has reached base in 10 out of his last 11 games.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.245) did not record an out, going 3 for 3 with a double (7), a run scored, a walk and a stolen base (4). He has had three straight multi-hit games, going 8 for 12 (.667) over the span.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.264) and RF Shawon Dunston Jr. (.230) both swiped a pair of bags.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (3.00) gave up one earned run in six innings, fanning one batter. He allowed only one run for the second straight start.
- RHP Jeremy Null (1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) fanned three in his season debut at Myrtle Beach.
South Bend Cubs (18-12)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
South Bend shut out Dayton in the first game, 2-0. In the nightcap, an SB-Cubs comeback attempt in the top of the seventh fell short, and Dayton won, 5-4.
- DH/RF Eloy Jimenez (.306) went 3 for 6 over the two games, including a double in each affair (10).
- LF/CF Eddy Martinez (.250) finished 2 for 6 combined, hitting a two-run homer in Game 1.
- CF/LF Donnie Dewees (.300) hit his first homer at South Bend, a two-out, two-run shot in Game 2.
- LHP Carson Sands threw his second straight scoreless outing (11 IP combined).
- RHP Casey Bloomquist (2 IP, 1 SO) relieved Sands and extended his scoreless inning streak to 15 IP. He has only allowed three hits over this stretch.