Cubs Minor League Report: 5/12/16
Myrtle Beach picked up a shutout victory Thursday, but Iowa, Tennessee and South Bend were all on the wrong end of the decision. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (16-16)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-3.0)
Iowa went 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position, falling at home to Nashville, 7-2.
- C Miguel Montero (.200) went 0 for 3 in his third rehab game. He is 2 for 10 with Iowa.
- CF Albert Almora (.328) finished 2 for 4 with a run scored. The outfielder has hit safely in nine straight games (15 for 43) with multi-hit games in the last three contests.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.346) continued his hot stretch, going 2 for 3 with a walk, a solo homer (6) in the ninth inning and two RBI (27). He has hit safely in six straight games (8 for 21), scoring six runs and driving in six during that span.
Tennessee Smokies (15-19)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-3.0)
Tennessee rallied for three runs in the ninth, but fell in walk-off fashion, 5-4, in 10 innings at Montgomery.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.306) had a double (4) and went 2 for 4 with an RBI (15) and a run scored. It snapped an 0 for 19 stretch that spanned 13 games.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.267) reached base three times, going 1 for 3 with a two-out solo homer (2) and a pair of walks.
- C David Freitas (.260) finished 1 for 4 with a double (4), an RBI (8) and a run scored.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (2 IP, 1 BB, 2 SO) registered his second straight hitless outing. He hasn’t allowed a run in nine of 11 appearances this season (1.23 ERA).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (17-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
Three Pelicans pitchers combined to shut out Winston-Salem, as Myrtle Beach won 3-0.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.333) went 2 for 3 with a solo homer (1), a double (7) and two runs scored. He has notched a hit in five straight games, three of which have been multi-hit affairs.
- 2B Ian Happ (.280) and DH Daniel Lockhart (.241) both added sacrifice flies.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (3.10 ERA) pitched six scoreless innings, striking out 10 batters and walking none to pick up the win. It’s the first time this year he didn’t surrender a base on balls.
South Bend Cubs (19-13)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
South Bend only mustered two hits and fell to Lansing 5-0.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.297) went 1 for 4 with a stolen base (8).
- C P.J. Higgins (.271) finished 1 for 3 with a walk. The backstop was the only Cub to reach twice.
- RHP Scott Effross (2 IP, 2 H, 2 SO) tossed his third straight scoreless outing.