Cubs Minor League Report: 5/16/16
It was a tough day for the Cubs farm teams, as all three squads in action took a loss. South Bend had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s games.
Iowa Cubs (18-18)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Iowa dropped to .500 with a 5-3 setback on the road at Reno.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.331) reached base twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk. He has drawn a base on balls in seven straight games, contributing to his .432 on-base percentage.
- CF Albert Almora (.336) extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.361/22-for-61), going 1 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI (22).
- LF John Andreoli (.205) and PH Juan Perez (.286) each collected a double.
Tennessee Smokies (17-21)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Fourth Place (-5.5)
The Smokies left the tying run at third base in the ninth inning, falling 3-2 to Birmingham.
- SS Chesny Young (.321) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 3 for 4 with a walk and a run scored. It’s his fifth game this season with at least three hits.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.261) and DH Kelly Dugan (.279) each went hitless but drew two walks apiece.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (1.08 ERA) surrendered just one earned run in six innings. He has allowed one earned run or fewer in seven of his eight starts and has now allowed just six earned runs in 50 innings this season.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-16)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
The Pelicans had their four-game winning streak snapped, dropping a 5-2 decision to Frederick.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.260) went 2 for 4 with a double (3) and an RBI (28).
- 2B Ian Happ (.274) reached twice, finishing 1 for 3 with a double (9), walk and run scored.
- LHP Jordan Minch (2.0 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) tossed two scoreless innings of relief, his fourth outing this season of at least two scoreless frames.