Cubs Minor League Report: 5/17/16
Tennessee overpowered its opponent, and South Bend pitching carried the load in wins Tuesday. Iowa couldn’t hold on, and Myrtle Beach was rained out, with a doubleheader scheduled for Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (18-19)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
The I-Cubs could not overcome an early Reno lead and fell to the Aces, 5-3.
- RF-CF Juan Perez (.292) went 2 for 5 with a solo homer (2). He has a hit in five consecutive games (6 for 15/.400).
- C Willson Contreras (.339) reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks and an RBI (19).
- CF Albert Almora (.333) went 1 for 4, extending his hitting streak to 14 games.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.268) finished 1 for 3 with a triple (1) and a walk.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (2 IP, 1 H, 2 BB) finished the game and extended his scoreless innings streak to 26.2 IP, dating to last season.
Tennessee Smokies (18-21)
Southern League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-4.5)
The Smokies went 6 for 12 with runners in scoring position to top Birmingham, 9-4.
- RHP Tyler Skulina (3.76) picked up the win, striking out seven and surrendering just one earned run on two his in six innings.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.230) reached base four times, going 3 for 3 with a walk. He had a pair of doubles (9), two RBI (18) and three runs scored.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.309) finished 3 for 4 with two doubles (5), two RBI (17) and a run scored.
- 1B Ryan Dent (.138) notched his second multi-hit game of the season, going 2 for 4 with a double (1) and three RBI (6).
South Bend Cubs (22-14)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (—)
South Bend pitchers fanned 10 batters and only allowed five hits en route to a 2-1 victory.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.304) went 1 for 4 with two RBI (28). He has knocked in nine runs in his last four games and leads the Midwest League in RBI.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.292) finished 2 for 4 with a double (6) and a hit-by-pitch.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.345) went 1 for 3 with a triple (1), a walk and a run scored.
- SS Bryant Flete (.257) reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks and a run scored.
- LHP Carson Sands (3.26 ERA) pitched five innings, giving up one earned run. It’s the only run he’s surrendered in his last 16 innings.