Cubs Minor League Report: 5/19/16
One big inning was the difference for Tennessee, and Myrtle Beach claimed its series with a win Thursday. Iowa was edged out, and South Bend gave up late runs in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (18-20)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-4.0)
Iowa dropped its fourth straight game, collecting four hits in a 2-1, series-opening setback at Tacoma.
- RF John Andreoli (.210) collected both of the team’s extra-base hits, going 2 for 4 with a double (4) and a solo homer (4).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.320) went 1 for 3 with a walk.
- RHP Ryan Williams (3.30 ERA) gave up one run in five innings for the no-decision. He has posted a 1.80 ERA (5 ER/25 IP) in his last four starts.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 SO) has yet to allow a run in 14 innings with Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (19-22)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.5)
The Smokies pulled away with a five-run fifth inning, as they defeated visiting Biloxi, 7-2.
- 2B Chesny Young (.308) went 2 for 4 with a team-high two runs scored.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.197) finished 2 for 4 with a double (13), a run scored and two RBI (13).
- RF Billy McKinney (.234) went 2 for 4 with a triple (1), a run scored and two RBI (11).
- LF Mark Zagunis (.291) added a double (9), two RBI (15) and a run scored. He is batting .414 (12 for 29) with a .541 OBP since May 11.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (22-17)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
Myrtle Beach took the rubber game against Winston-Salem, prevailing 4-3.
- RHP Erick Leal (3.93 ERA) picked up the win, pitching seven innings and giving up three earned runs.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.263) was 2 for 4 with a two-run homer (7) in the fifth inning, his fourth homer in the past seven games.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.255) went 3 for 4 with two doubles (10). He is batting .349 (22 for 63) in 16 May games after batting .179 (14 for 78) in 21 April contests.
- DH Ian Happ (.268) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
South Bend Cubs (22-16)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
South Bend surrendered three unanswered runs in the seventh and eighth, falling 5-3 at Great Lakes.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.326) collected his second career multi-homer game, going 2 for 4 with two homers (4) and three RBI.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.299) went 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- LHP Kyle Twomey (4.75) allowed just one earned run in five innings.