Cubs Minor League Report: 5/22/16
It was a tough day for Cubs farm teams, as only South Bend was able to secure a victory Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (18-23)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-6.0)
Iowa dropped its seventh straight game, falling 8-1 in the finale of a four-game set at Tacoma.
- CF Albert Almora (.331) collected his seventh three-hit game of the season, going 3 for 4 with a double (9) and an RBI (23).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.319) went 2 for 3 with a walk. He has reached in 14 of his last 15 games.
- C Willson Contreras (.328) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk.
Tennessee Smokies (20-24)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-6.5)
Tennessee dropped both ends of its doubleheader vs. Biloxi. The Smokies went scoreless into extra innings in Game 1 before falling 5-0 in nine innings. They then dropped a back-and-forth 6-5 decision in Game 2.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (0.96 ERA) threw six scoreless innings in Game 1, already his sixth outing this season of at least five innings with no earned runs allowed.
- RHP Corey Black struck out five batters in two perfect innings of relief in Game 1.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.222) finished 2 for 3 with a walk and a run scored in the second game. He has three multi-hit games in his last four contests (8 for 15).
- 1B Bijan Rademacher (.303) went 1 for 2 with two walks, one run scored and two RBI (19) in the second game.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.229) was 2 for 4 with a double (10) and run scored in Game 2.
Myrtle Beach (25-16)
Midwest League (High-A)
First Place (+2.0)
The Pelicans surrendered five eighth-inning runs and fell 7-4 at home to Lynchburg.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.250) finished 2 for 4 with a solo homer (2) and two RBI (12). He has hit safely in five straight games (9 for 17) with four multi-hit efforts.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.262) went 1 for 4 with a double (4), a run scored and his team-leading 35th RBI.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (3.35 ERA) tossed his fifth quality start of the season, fanning six in 6.1 innings and giving up just one earned run.
South Bend Cubs (25-16)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+2.0)
South Bend connected on three homers in a 6-4 victory at Lake County.
- RHP Preston Morrison (3.96 ERA) gave up one earned run across five innings, striking out five.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.327) went 1 for 2 with two walks and a two-run homer (6). He has hit safely in nine straight games (17 for 38) and has four homers in his last four games.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.220) followed up Jimenez’ homer with a solo blast in the first inning (5).
- DH P.J. Higgins (.282) went 2 for 4 with a walk, two runs and an RBI (16).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.293) was 2 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI (31).