Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/24/16
Iowa snapped a losing streak, Myrtle Beach won a long game, and South Bend’s offense powered the team to a victory Tuesday. Tennessee had the day off and resumes action today. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league play.
Iowa Cubs (19-24)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-5.5)
Iowa snapped an eight-game losing streak by topping El Paso, 8-3.
- C Willson Contreras (.326) homered (5) for the second time in two games and added a walk and two runs.
- CF Albert Almora (.333) went 2 for 4 with a double (10), three RBI (26) and a run scored.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.257) was 2 for 4 with a double (5), an RBI (16) and two runs scored.
- 3B Kristopher Negron (.279) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with an RBI (18).
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (2.57 ERA) allowed just two runs in his first start after being promoted to Triple-A.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (25-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
The Pelicans outlasted Carolina in a 14-inning affair, winning 3-2.
- 2B Ian Happ (.281) went 3 for 6 with a two-run homer (5) and two runs scored. He’s reached base in each of the last 12 games.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.245) contributed a double (11), going 2 for 6 with a run scored.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (2.25) fanned four in 5.2 innings and notched his third straight start without allowing a run.
South Bend Cubs (27-16)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+3.0)
The SB-Cubs had five extra-base hits and only stranded four runners, topping Great Lakes, 8-3.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.335) launched a two-out, two-run homer (7) in the first inning. He has knocked in five runs over his last three games.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.328) went 2 for 3 with a pair of doubles (9), a walk, a stolen base (4) and three runs scored. He has five multi-hit games over his last six starts.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.220) had a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a pair of RBI (25) and a run scored.
- DH Tyler Alamo (.287) went 1 for 4 with a two-run homer (2) in the third inning.
- RHP Kyle Miller (2.1 IP, 3 SO) has only allowed two runs in his 16 innings of work this season (1.13 ERA).