Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/26/16
The Tennessee Smokies knocked out 14 hits to pick up the minor-league system’s only win of the day Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league play.
Iowa Cubs (19-26)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-6.0)
Iowa suffered its 10th loss in its last 11 contests, dropping a 6-3, 12-inning decision to El Paso.1B Dan
- Vogelbach (.313) went 2 for 4 with a double (8), a run scored and an RBI (33).
- CF Juan Perez (.278) went 2 for 4 with a walk and a stolen base (4).
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. (2 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO) allowed his first run of the season.
- RHP Alex Sanabia pitched 5.2 innings, his longest outing of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (22-25)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-6.5)
The Smokies collected 14 hits and topped Chattanooga, 7-6.
- 1B David Freitas (.284) was a double shy of the cycle, going 3 for 4 with a triple (1) and a homer. He also knocked in four runs (17) and scored once.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.289) added a pair of doubles (11), going 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- C Victor Caratini (.284) was 2 for 3 with three runs scored, a double (10) and a walk.
- RF Billy McKinney (.236) and DH Chesny Young (.316) both had multi-hit games.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (2 IP, 2 H, 1 SO) earned the win and has allowed just one run over his last 12.1 innings pitched.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (26-20)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-4.5)
Myrtle Beach batters mustered only four hits as the Pelicans fell to Carolina, 10-2.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.290) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a double (11) and two RBI (18).
- DH Ian Happ (.277) reached twice, drawing a pair of walks and scoring a run.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.249) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.261) both went 1 for 4.
- RHP Jeremy Null allowed more than one run in a start for the first time this season (three starts total).
South Bend Cubs (28-17)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+2.0)
South Bend had its six-game winning streak snapped, falling 9-4 at home to Great Lakes.
- SS Bryant Flete (.239) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (10).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.335) extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.442/23 for 52), going 1 for 3 with a double (14), a walk and two RBI (30).
- C P.J. Higgins (.286) reached base three times, going 1 for 3 with a double (12), two walks and a run scored. He is batting .474 (9 for 19) with a .583 OBP in his last five games.