Cubs Minor League Report: 5/30/16
Iowa had a strong all-around game, and Myrtle Beach battled back to capture a win. South Bend couldn’t do enough to pick up a victory, while Tennessee was off Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (23-26)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Iowa plated 10 runs in the sixth inning to finish off a four-game sweep of Albuquerque, 11-0.
- C Willson Contreras (.329) connected on two homers (8), including a sixth inning grand slam. He went 4 for 5 with three runs scored and five RBI (30) and has a nine-game hit streak going.
- LF Matt Murton (.328) went 2 for 5 with two doubles (4) and a run scored. He has batted .389 (14 for 36) in 12 May contests, including 9 for 18 in his last four games.
- CF Albert Almora (.318) finished 3 for 5 with a double (12), a run scored and a stolen base (6).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.257), 3B Kristopher Negron (.277) and SS Munenori Kawasaki (.239) all had two hits, an RBI and a run scored.
- Jake Buchanan (4.86 ERA) tossed six scoreless innings, walking none and giving up just four hits to pick up the win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (27-23)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
Myrtle Beach rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat visiting Wilmington, 4-2.
- RF Trey Martin (.224) reached four times, going 3 for 3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (9).
- DH Shawon Dunston Jr. (.230) finished 2 for 3.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.253) hit a solo homer (6) in the first inning and went 1 for 3 with two walks.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (2.35 ERA) fanned six and gave up just two earned runs in six innings.
South Bend Cubs (31-18)
Midwest League (High-A)
First Place (+2.0)
South Bend collected 10 hits but dropped a 5-4 decision at home to Lansing.
- 3B Andrew Ely (.321) was 2 for 5 with a double (11) and a run scored. He has posted a .381 average (32 for 84) in 21 May games.
- C Tyler Alamo (.302) went 2 for 4 with a run scored, making it six straight games with a run.
- DH Ian Rice (.368) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk and two RBI (13).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.337) extended his hitting streak to 17 games (.433/29 for 67), going 1 for 4 with an RBI (35).