Cubs Minor League Report: 5/31/16
Iowa continued its strong run with a win, but Tennessee and South Bend were both on the losing side Tuesday. Myrtle Beach had the day off and will resume play today. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (24-26)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-2.5)
Iowa extended its winning streak to a season-best five games with an 11-6 defeat of Oklahoma City.
- C Willson Contreras (.331) extended his organization-best hitting streak to 10 games, going 2 for 5 with a triple (3), three RBI (33), a run scored and a walk. He has driven in 11 runs in his last four games.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.309) went 3 for 4 with a solo homer (8), two RBI (38), a run scored and a walk. He has had an RBI in three straight games.
- 3B-LF Logan Watkins (.229) went 2 for 5 with a double (6), two RBI (15), a run scored and a pair of stolen bases (5).
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.257) went 3 for 4 with a double (6), a run scored and a walk.
Tennessee Smokies (23-28)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-10.o)
The Smokies allowed seven runs over the first four frames and were defeated, 10-5.
- RF Billy McKinney (.252) connected for his first homer of the season, going 2 for 4 with an RBI (15) and a pair of runs scored. He has reached base in his last five games.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.241) tied his season high with three hits, all singles.
- DH Stephen Bruno (.217) went 2 for 4 with a ninth-inning double (1), a pair of RBI (4) and a run scored.
South Bend Cubs (31-19)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend dropped its second game in a row, losing to Fort Wayne, 5-1.
- C P.J. Higgins (.285) led the squad in hits with a 3 for 5 performance, all singles.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.305) added a triple (2), going 2 for 4.
- DH Ian Rice (.383) went 2 for 3 with a walk. He has reached base in his last seven games.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.330) snapped his 17-game hitting streak with an 0 for 4 night.
- RHP Kyle Twomey (4.66 ERA) fired 5.1 innings of one-hit baseball before being lifted. He fanned three and gave up one earned run.