Cubs Minor League Report: 6/1/16
Iowa battled back to claim a win, and Myrtle Beach powered its way to victory Wednesday. Tennessee lost a rain-shortened game, and South Bend couldn’t get the bats going. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (25-26)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-1.0)
Iowa staved off an Oklahoma City comeback in the ninth inning to win its sixth straight contest, 5-4.
- C Willson Contreras (.337) extended his hitting streak to 11 games (17 for 47/.362) by going 2 for 3 with a double (12), two RBI (35) and a walk.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.314) went 2 for 4 with a double (10), a triple (1) and two runs scored.
- CF Albert Almora (.315) drove in a pair of runs (30), going 1 for 3 with a sacrifice fly.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.260) recorded a triple (5), an RBI and a run scored.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.270) swiped a pair of bags (8).
- RHP Drew Rucinski (5.55 ERA) struck out seven in seven innings, surrendering two earned runs.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO) struck out the side in his inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (23-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-11.0)
The Smokies lost a 4-3, five-inning contest at home vs. Jackson. The game was called early due to rain.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.306) went 3 for 3 with a two-run homer (4) and three RBI (21). It marked his second three-hit game in his last three contests.
- 2B Chesny Young (.316) finished 2 for 3 with a run scored. Young has reached in his last nine games.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.243) recorded a hit and a run scored.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (28-23)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-4.5)
Myrtle Beach opened up its four-game set at Salem with a 6-3 win yesterday afternoon.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.245) collected a season-high four hits, going 4 for 5 with a triple (4), two runs scored and two RBI (11).
- RHP Erick Leal (3.03 ERA) pitched five scoreless innings, giving up three hits to pick up the win.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.207) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks, an RBI (7) and a stolen base (4).
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (3 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) made his longest relief appearance of the season.
South Bend Cubs (31-20)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend collected six hits in a 6-2 setback at Fort Wayne.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.283) went 2 for 4 with a triple (9) and a run scored.
- C P.J. Higgins (.290) was 2 for 4. He is 14 for 34 (.412) in his last nine games.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.328) doubled (15) and scored a run.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (3 IP, 1 BB, 5 SO) has yet to allow a hit in five innings this season (1 BB, 8 SO).