Cubs Minor League Report: 6/5/16
It was a solid day for Cubs affiliates, as everybody came away victorious Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (28-26)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Iowa defeated Memphis, 6-1. It marked the I-Cubs ninth straight win, their longest streak since 1991.
- LF Matt Murton (.324) went 2 for 3 with a solo homer, his first of the season. He also walked once, scored two runs and collected two RBI (14). He is batting .419 (13 for 31) in his last nine games.
- C David Freitas (.167) finished 1 for 4 with a go-ahead two-run homer in the fourth inning.
- 3B Juan Perez (.266) was 2 for 4 with a triple (2), a run scored and two RBI (23).
- RHP Alex Sanabia (8.02 ERA) gave up one earned run in five innings for the win. He has a 3.45 ERA (6 ER/15.2 IP) in his last three starts compared to a 19.50 ERA (13 ER/5.2 IP) in his first two outings.
Tennessee Smokies (25-31)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-12.0)
The Smokies scored six runs in the sixth inning to rally for an 11-6 win over host Mississippi.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.222) went 1 for 3 with a solo homer (4), two walks and three runs scored.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.251) was 2 for 5 with a two-run homer (6), four RBI (23) and a stolen base (20). He extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.345/19 for 55).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.243) went 2 for 3 with two runs scored, an RBI (19) and a hit-by-pitch.
- RHP Miguel Mejia (2 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) earned his first win, tossing two scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (30-26)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
Myrtle Beach claimed its largest victory as a Cubs affiliate, blanking visiting Potomac, 15-0.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.242) homered for the second straight game, going 2 for 4 with a three-run homer (9), a walk and four RBI (43). He has five runs scored and six RBI in the last three games.
- 2B Ian Happ (.273) finished 2 for 4 with a three-run homer (6), a walk, three runs scored and a stolen base (9).
- 3B Daniel Lockhart (.246) led the team in hits, going 3 for 4 with three runs scored and an RBI (12).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.261) reached base four times, finishing 1 for 2 with three walks, two runs scored and two stolen bases (10). He has reached in 11 of 22 plate appearances this month.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.231) went 2 for 5 with a solo homer (1), his first of the season.
- Named the Cubs Pitcher of the Month for May, Trevor Clifton (2.08 ERA) tossed six scoreless frames in his first June outing, striking out six. It marked his fourth scoreless game in his last five appearances.
South Bend Cubs (34-22)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend led 2-0 after two innings and held on for a 2-1 win over visiting West Michigan.
- C P.J. Higgins (.288) and 3B Jesse Hodges (.294) each hit a double and scored a run.
- LHP Kyle Twomey (4.38 ERA) gave up one earned run in five innings. He has allowed just two runs over his last two starts (10.1 IP).
- RHP Scott Effross (1.1 IP, 2 H,1 SO) has not allowed a run in his last 15.1 innings.