Cubs Minor League Report: 6/7/16
Iowa picked up a one-run win, Myrtle Beach swept both games of its doubleheader, and South Bend won in walk-off fashion (again) on Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (29-27)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Iowa finished off its series against Memphis with a 6-5 win, claiming the set 3-1.
- LF Matt Murton (.329) was 2 for 2 with a double (5), two RBI (16) and a stolen base (1). He has six RBI in his last four games.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.254) finished 2 for 4 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (15).
- RF Logan Watkins (.224) and 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.264) each went 1 for 3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI. Alcantara swiped his 21st base of the season.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) earned his sixth save of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (25-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Fourth Place (-13.0)
The Smokies collected just two hits in a 5-1 setback at Mississippi.
- C Victor Caratini (.291) went 1 for 3 with a walk. He has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games.
- PH Kelly Dugan (.219) recorded a hit as a pinch-hitter.
- RHP Jose Rosario (1 H, 3 SO) struck out three batters in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (32-26)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
Myrtle Beach swept a doubleheader vs. Potomac, winning both games by a score of 4-3.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.263) went a combined 3 for 7 with a run scored, two RBI (16) and a stolen base (10). He has hit safely in nine straight games (.385/15 for 39).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.264) reached in both games, going a combined 2 for 5 with two walks, three runs scored and a stolen base (11). He’s compiled eight runs in his last five games.
- 2B Ian Happ (.279) went a combined 2 for 3 with four walks, a double (10), a run scored and an RBI (36).
- RHP Erick Leal (3.29 ERA) gave up two earned runs in six innings pitched and picked up his eighth win of the season, most among all Cubs minor leaguers.
- RHP Jeremy Null (2.45 ERA) pitched 6.2 innings, striking out six in the win.
South Bend Cubs (35-22)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend earned its seventh walk-off victory of the season, defeating Dayton 4-3 in 12 innings.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.317) was 3 for 5 with a run scored. It’s his second three-hit game in the last three contests and third of the season.
- SS Bryant Flete (.230) went 1 for 4 with a walk and two RBI (13), including the game-winning sac fly in the 12th inning.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.318) and 3B Andrew Ely (.295) each collected two hits and a walk.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (3 IP, 1 H, 2 SO), LHP John Williamson (1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) and RHP James Norwood (2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 3 SO) combined to throw seven scoreless innings of relief.