Cubs Minor League Report: 6/9/16
Only South Bend was able to pick up a win, with the other three affiliates dropping their games. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (29-28)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
Despite outhitting their competition, the I-Cubs fell to Round Rock, 8-5.
- 1B Kristopher Negron (.261) led the squad with three RBI (22). He went 2 for 4 with a double (8) and a triple (4). It’s his first game at first base this season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.500) made his Iowa debut, going 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles (2) and two runs scored.
- CF Juan Perez (.267) had a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with an RBI (24).
- RHP Dallas Beeler (1 IP, 1 SO) made his second rehab appearance, tossing a scoreless inning.
Tennessee Smokies (26-34)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Fourth Place (-13.0)
The Smokies did not allow a run until the 11th frame but fell to Mississippi, 3-0.
- C Victor Caratini (.305) was 3 for 5 and has a hit in 13 of his last 14 games. He is 19 for 51 (.373) over the stretch.
- RF Billy McKinney (.246) went 1 for 4 with a double (7) and a walk.
- Jen-Ho Tseng (4.07 ERA) allowed only two hits over five innings in his return from the disabled list.
- RHP James Farris (2 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) punched out three in his first appearance after being transferred from Myrtle Beach.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (32-27)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
The Pelicans committed three errors and could only notch five hits en route to a 9-3 loss to Lynchburg.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.265) was 1 for 3 with a two-run, two-out homer (7) in the eighth inning.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.239) reached base three times, finishing 1 for 2 with a double (6) and two walks.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.235) connected for a double (6), going 1 for 4 with a run.
- Jake Stinnett (4.24) has only allowed three walks over his last three starts (17.2 IP) after allowing 12 free passes in the three starts preceding that stretch.
South Bend Cubs (36-23)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
The SB-Cubs scored three runs in the eighth inning to edge Dayton, 5-2.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.217) finished 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles (10) and a pair of RBI (31).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.321) was 2 for 4 with a double (17), an RBI (37) and two runs scored.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.281) went 2 for 3 with a triple (11), two runs scored, a walk and a pair of stolen bases (14).
- RHP Scott Effross (2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) earned the win and extended his scoreless innings streak to 17.1 innings.