Cubs Minor League Report: 6/12/16
The Smokies edged out a win, but the other affiliates weren’t able to secure victories Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (29-31)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
The I-Cubs were swept by Round Rock as they dropped the final game of the four-game set, 10-7.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.313) registered a three-hit game for the fourth time this season, going 3 for 4 with a homer (10), two RBI (42), two runs scored and a walk.
- CF John Andreoli (.212) slugged his third lead-off homer of the season (7). He went 2 for 3 with a pair of runs scored and two walks.
- DH Willson Contreras (.351) extended his PCL-best hitting streak to 18 games with a triple (3), an RBI and a walk.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.294) went 2 for 4 with a run scored and a walk.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (1 IP) pitched a clean frame in his third rehab appearance.
Tennessee Smokies (27-36)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-13.5)
The Smokies snapped their three-game losing streak, topping Chattanooga, 5-4.
- 1B Victor Caratini (.303) was 3 for 4 with a triple (1), an RBI (19) and a pair of runs scored.
- 3B David Bote (.500) was 2 for 4 with an RBI (1) and a run scored in his first game with Tennessee.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.385) went 2 for 4 with a double (3). LF Kelly Dugan (.215) and RF Jacob Hannemann (.237) also hit doubles.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (2.53) gave up three earned runs in seven innings, fanning six and walking just one. He has walked one or fewer batters in eight of his 13 starts this season.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (33-29)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
Despite a pair of Gioskar Amaya homers, the Pelicans lost to Lynchburg, 3-2.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.261) registered his first-career multi-homer game with a pair of solo shots (2). He has three homers in his last two games.
- 2B Ian Happ (.270) went 1 for 4, and LF Charcer Burks (.207) was 1 for 3.
- Trevor Clifton (2.21 ERA) gave up two earned runs in five innings, striking out six.
South Bend Cubs (37-25)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
The SB-Cubs were limited to only two hits and suffered a 6-0 setback at Bowling Green.
- C P.J. Higgins (.277) snapped Michael Velasquez’ perfect-game bid with a single in the seventh inning, finishing 2 for 4.
- RHP Scott Effross (2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER) snapped his consecutive scoreless innings streak at 18.1 IP. He had not allowed a run since April 28.