Cubs Minor League Report: 6/13/16
South Bend picked up a convincing victory, but neither Tennessee nor Myrtle Beach could secure wins Monday. Iowa’s game was rained out, with a doubleheader scheduled tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Tennessee Smokies (27-37)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Fourth Place (-14.0)
The Smokies dropped their fourth game in their last five contests, falling 4-2 vs. Chattanooga.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.241) went 2 for 4 with a two-run homer (7), a double (12) and a steal (22).
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.275) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a double (6), run scored and walk.
- RHP James Farris (1 IP) has yet to allow a run in three appearances (4 IP) with Tennessee.
- RHP Tyler Skulina (3.67 ERA) tossed his fifth quality start of the season, striking out six in six innings, surrendering three earned runs. He has posted a 2.74 ERA (7 ER/23 IP) in his last four starts.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (33-30)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-7.5)
The Pelicans allowed runs in each of the first four innings and dropped a 7-3 decision vs. Frederick.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.265) homered for the third straight game, going 1 for 2 with a solo blast (5) and two walks.
- DH Charcer Burks (.214) went 2 for 4 with a solo homer (5) in the seventh inning.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.250) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4.
- RHP James Pugliese (4 IP, 1 BB, 2 SO) did not allow a hit in four scoreless innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (38-25)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
South Bend collected 13 hits in a 6-1 victory over host Dayton.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.242) went a perfect 4 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI (32). It’s his first four-hit game of the season.
- DH Ian Rice (.327) was 3 for 5 with a solo homer (6).
- 1B P.J. Higgins (.281) and SS Josh Silver (.286) each collected two-hit games.
- RHP Kyle Miller (1.36) pitched a season-high six innings in his second start of the season. He gave up no earned runs on four hits, striking out three and walking just one.
- LHP Kyle Twomey (3.0 IP, 3 H, 6 SO) earned his first save of the season, tossing three innings of relief.