Cubs Minor League Report: 6/14/16
Iowa split its doubleheader, Tennessee won in convincing fashion, and South Bend had one big inning in its victory Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (30-32)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
- C Willson Contreras (.354) extended his hitting streak to 19 games in the first contest. He was 2 for 4 with a double (16), an RBI (43) and a run scored.
- 2B/SS Logan Watkins (.231) was a homer shy of the cycle in the second game, going 4 for 5 with a double (7), a triple (3), an RBI (17) and two runs.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.375) tallied six hits over the twin bill. He had a double in each contest.
- CF John Andreoli (.219) slugged a pair of homers in the second game (9). He went 3 for 4 with four RBI (31), four runs scored and a walk.
- RHP Joel Peralta (1 IP, 1 SO) pitched a clean frame in his Iowa debut during Game 2.
Tennessee Smokies (28-37)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-13.0)
The Smokies collected 10 hits in a 4-1 triumph over visiting Chattanooga.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.56) surrendered just one earned run in six innings of work to pick up the win.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.241) went 1 for 4 with a solo homer (8), his second-straight game with a homer.
- 2B Chesny Young (.296) finished 3 for 4 with two RBI (15).
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.317) and RF Bijan Rademacher (.282) each went 2 for 4.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (33-31)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-7.5)
Myrtle Beach could not recover from a four-run third inning and lost to Frederick, 5-4.
- 2B Ian Happ (.279) went 3 for 4 with a double (11) and an RBI (37). It’s his fifth three-hit game this year.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.249) was 2 for 5 with a double (14), an RBI (17) and a run scored.
- RF Daniel Spingola (.200) finished 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- RHP Daury Torrez (2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) did not allow a run in 2.1 innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (39-25)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
The SB-Cubs put up seven runs in the sixth inning to top Dayton, 7-2. The squad has sole possession of first place with five games left in the first half.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.318) was 2 for 5 with two RBI (7) and a run scored. He has reached base in his last 10 games.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.326) finished 3 for 5 with an RBI (42) and a run scored. It extended his hitting streak to nine games (14 for 36/.389).
- C P.J. Higgins (.284) was 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (4.15 ERA) tossed a career-high seven innings, allowed only three hits and strikiing out five in the win.