Cubs Minor League Report: 6/19/16
South Bend clinched a first-half title with a win Sunday, but the other affiliates were unable to secure victories. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (31-36)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-5.5)
The I-Cubs were 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position and fell to Memphis, 4-3.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.252) was the only Iowa batter to tally more than one hit, going 2 for 3 with a double (8), an RBI (20) and a walk.
- LF Matt Murton (.315) went 1 for 4 with an RBI (22) and a run.
- PH-RF Mark Zagunis (.381) hit a pinch-hit triple (2) to lead off the eighth inning. He also scored a run.
- The Iowa bullpen combined to throw 4.2 scoreless innings, allowing only two hits over the span.
Tennessee Smokies (28-42)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-18.0)
The Smokies mustered just three singles in a 4-0 setback at Jackson to conclude the season’s first half.
- RF Billy McKinney (.256), 3B David Bote (.200) and C Victor Caratini (.298) each collected hits.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.22 ERA) gave up one earned run in six innings. He has posted a 1.48 ERA (4 ER/24.1 IP) in his last five starts.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (36-34)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-7.5)
The Pelicans finished the first half with a 4-3, 11-inning setback at Potomac.
- DH Ian Happ (.296) went 3 for 4 with a double (16), a two-run homer (7) and a walk. He has four straight multi-hit games and is batting .361 (22 for 61) in June.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.271) was 2 for 4 with a walk and a double (18).
- 2B Andrew Ely (.182) finished 2 for 5 with a stolen base (1).
- RHP Michael Wagner (4 IP, 1 H, 6 SO) tossed four scoreless innings of relief in his first outing of the season with Myrtle Beach.
South Bend Cubs (41-28)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend defeated Lake County 3-1 to clinch a playoff berth and the Eastern Division first half title.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.341) extended his hitting streak to 14 games (.453/24 for 53), going 2 for 3 with two doubles (24) and two RBI (45). He has hit safely in 32 of his last 35 games and has multiple hits in six straight games.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.300) went 1 for 4 with a double (6), an RBI (8) and a run scored.
- RHP Kyle Miller (1.35 ERA) struck out five in seven innings, giving up just one earned run in the win. He has gone 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA (3 ER/18 IP) in three starts this season.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (2 IP, 4 SO) struck out four batters in two perfect innings.
Eugene Emeralds (2-1)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
The Emeralds lost their first game of the season to Boise, 6-4 (13 inn.). It’s their second extra-inning game in as many days.
- 3B Wladmir Galindo (.167) was 2 for 5 with a pair of solo homers (2).
- 2B Yeiler Peguero (.250) went 2 for 5 with a homer (1), two RBI (2) and a run scored.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.154) and SS Andruw Monasterio (.357) both finished 2 for 6.
- Jose Paulino (0.00 ERA) punched out five and allowed five hits over five scoreless frames.
- RHP Alex Santana (2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 SO) threw 2.1 scoreless innings.