Cubs Minor League Report: 6/20/16
All three teams in action secured wins Monday, while the other teams enjoyed their All-Star breaks. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (32-36)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Iowa snapped a four-game losing streak, defeating host Memphis, 5-4.
- CF John Andreoli (.238) went 2 for 3 with a walk, two doubles (7) and two runs scored. He is batting .429 (15 for 35) with nine extra-base hits in his last nine games.
- LF Matt Murton (.322) extended his hitting streak to four games (.444/8 for 18), going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.271) went 2 for 4 with a double (10).
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 1 SO) collected his eighth save. He has not allowed a run in his last seven appearances (7 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (28-42)
The Smokies are currently on a three-day All-Star Break and return to action on Thursday vs. Pensacola.
The Southern League All-Star Game takes place tonight in Pearl, Mississippi. Eight Smokies were named to the All-Star Game: RHP Paul Blackburn, INF Jeimer Candelario, C Victor Caratini, RHP Brad Markey, RHP Juan Paniagua, RHP Tyler Skulina, INF Chesny Young and OF Mark Zagunis.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (36-34)
The Pelicans are currently on a three-day All-Star Break and return to action on Thursday vs. Carolina.
The California/Carolina League All-Star Game takes place tonight in Lake Elsinore, California. The Pelicans had four players selected to the All-Star Game: RHP Trevor Clifton, INF Ian Happ, RHP Zach Hedges and RHP Jake Stinnett.
South Bend Cubs (41-28)
South Bend is currently on a three-day All-Star Break and returns to action on Thursday at Dayton.
The Midwest League All-Star Game takes place tonight in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The SB-Cubs had six players selected to the All-Star Game: RHP Adbert Alzolay, OF Donnie Dewees, INF Andrew Ely, INF Jesse Hodges, OF Eloy Jimenez and LHP Carson Sands.
Eugene Emeralds (3-1)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
The Emeralds allowed just three hits as they blanked host Hillsboro, 6-0.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.333) was 1 for 4 with a two-run homer (1) in the third inning. He has hit safely in all four games (6 for 18).
- C Tyler Payne (.286) went 2 for 4 with a double (1) and a triple (1).
- 2B Yeiler Peguero (.313) finished 2 for 4 with a double (2) and a run scored.
- LHP Manuel Rondon (0.00 ERA) allowed just one hit and no walks in five innings in his first start of the season.
- RHP Michael Knighton (4 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) followed with four scoreless innings to collect the save.
Mesa Cubs (1-0)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
Mesa rallied for five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to defeat the AZL Brewers, 5-3.
- RF Luis Ayala (.600) finished 3 for 5 with a go-ahead, three-run, inside-the-park home run (1).
- 1B Kevin Zamudio (.250) went 1 for 4 with a two-run homer (1) in the eighth inning to start the scoring.
- DH Gustavo Polanco (.500) finished 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- LHP Yapson Gomez (3 IP, 2 SO) tossed three perfect innings of relief to collect the win.