Cubs Minor League Report: 6/22/16
Iowa, Eugene and Mesa racked up wins Wednesday, while all other affiliates enjoyed the final day of their All-Star breaks. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (33-36)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-5.0)
The I-Cubs slugged five doubles in a 3-2 victory over visiting Nashville.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.333) was 2 for 4 with a double (5). He has doubled in two straight games.
- C David Freitas (.282) went 2 for 2 with a double (4), an RBI (9), a run and a walk. He has a hit in seven of his last eight games.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.253) doubled (9) and drove in a run (21).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.302) and LF Mark Zagunis (.347) also recorded doubles.
- Jake Buchanan (4.67 ERA) tied a season high with seven strikeouts in the win.
Eugene Emeralds (4-2)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
The Emeralds scored a season-high eight runs in an 8-1 victory over host Hillsboro.
- C Tyler Payne (.455) went 3 for 4 with a run scored, his second-straight multi-hit game.
- CF Robert Garcia (.250) reached base three times and scored three runs, going 1 for 3 with two walks and two stolen bases (2).
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.296) went 2 for 5 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (5).
- DH Ian Rose (.250) and 1B Jose Paniagua (.214) each drove in two runs.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.250) added a two-hit game.
- RHP Pedro Silverio (1.80 ERA) gave up one earned run in five innings to earn the win, striking out two.
Mesa Cubs (2-0)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+0.5)
Mesa allowed four ninth-inning runs but held on for a 5-4 victory over the AZL D-backs.
- 3B Rafael Mejia (.250) was 2 for 4 with a double (1) and a run scored.
- DH Kevin Zamudio (.250) and C Michael Cruz (.333) each added a double.
- LHP Jack Leathersich (1 IP, 2 SO) picked up the win, striking out two batters in a perfect inning.
- LHP Eugenio Palma (2 IP) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Jose Albertos (0.00 ERA) fanned seven in four innings, giving up just one hit and walking one.