Cubs Minor League Report: 6/23/16
Iowa split a doubleheader, and South Bend was powered by its offense in a win Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (34-37)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-4.5)
Iowa split a doubleheader against Nashville, shutting out the Sounds for a 3‐0 win in Game 1. The I‐Cubs dropped the second contest, 7‐4.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.321) was 1 for 3 with a double (7) and a run in Game 1.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.261) had the team’s lone multi‐hit effort, going 2 for 3.
- RHP Aaron Brooks made his third rehab start and tossed three shutout innings, walking none and striking out one.
- RHP Corey Black (1.93) picked up his first save at the Triple‐A level.
- In Game 2, LF Matt Murton (.331) was 2 for 3 with two runs (19).
- 1B Jeimer Candelario (.354) had two hits, and 2B Vimael Machin (.250) was 1 for 1 with a run scored and two walks (4).
Tennessee Smokies (0-1)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Fourth Place (-1.0)
CF Jacob Hannemann belted two home runs, but Tennessee opened the season’s second half with a 6‐4 setback against Pensacola.
- RHP Joe Nathan made his first rehab outing of the season, striking out two in a scoreless fifth inning. He threw 17 pitches, 11 for strikes.
- Hannemann (.239) finished 2 for 4 with two homers (10), two RBI, two runs, a walk and a steal (24). He has 25 extra‐base hits this year (12 2B, 3 3B, 10 HR), and has four homers in his last six games.
- 3B Chesny Young (.295) was 2 for 4 with a run. He’s hitting .333 (12 for 36) in his last 10 games.
- RHP David Berg (3.63) spun two scoreless innings (1 H, 2 SO).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (0-1)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-First Place (–)
Myrtle Beach opened its second half with a 2‐1 loss against Carolina.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.256) went 2 for 4 and now has a seven‐game hitting streak in which he is batting .346 (9 for 26).
- LF Charcer Burks (.218) was 2 for 3 with a double (11). He is batting .281 (9 for 32) in his last 10 games.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.220) drove in the team’s lone run, finishing 1 for 3 with walk and an RBI (17).
- LHP Jordan Minch (3.49) finished the game with 1.2 scoreless frames, striking out two without allowing a hit or a walk.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (4.70 ERA) pitched 7.1 innings, striking out eight and surrendering two earned runs.
South Bend Cubs (1-0)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend had 11 hits and nine walks in an 11‐1 drubbing of Dayton to start the second half of the Midwest League season.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.342) was 2 for 5 with two runs, three RBI and a two‐run homer (9). He has recorded seven straight multi‐hit efforts (.517/15 for 29) and enters today with a 15‐game hitting streak in which he’s batting .433 (26 for 60) with a 1.110 OPS.
- 1B Josh Silver (.250) finished 2 for 2 with a run, an RBI and three walks, while DH Ian Rice was 1 for 2 with two runs and three free passes.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.304), C P.J. Higgins (.283) and SS Bryant Flete (.212) also had two hits apiece.
- LHP Ryan Kellogg (3.68) fanned seven in six innings, giving up no earned runs in the outing.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (3.98) earned the win with two shutout innings in relief of Kellogg, while LHP Tyler Peitzmeier (0.00) spun a scoreless ninth.
Eugene Emeralds (4-3)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene (16 hits) and Spokane (12) combined for 28 hits, but the Emeralds fell, 11‐9. Eugene’ss RHP Dylan Cease walked none, struck out seven and allowed just one run in four innings.
- 2B Yeiler Peguro (.346) was 3 for 4 with three runs and a walk.
- RF Robert Garcia (.286) went 2 for 5 with a run, two RBI and a triple.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.344) was 3 for 5 with two runs, a double and two RBI.
- DH Wladimir Galindo (.280) was 2 for 5.
Mesa Cubs (2-1)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+0.5)
Mesa held a 6‐1 lead through four innings, but allowed 11 runs in the final five frames to fall, 12‐6, against the AZL Diamondbacks.
- RHP Aaron Crow (0.00 ERA) made his second scoreless one‐inning rehab outing with Mesa.
- LHP C.J. Reifenhauser made his first rehab outing with Mesa, following Crow. He allowed one run on one hit and one walk in one inning.
- RF Ruben Reyes (.333) finished 1 for 3 with two runs, two RBI, a double and a walk.
- 3B Rafael Mejia (.300) was 1 for 2 with a run and two walks.