Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/27/16
Iowa split its doubleheader, Tennessee cruised to a win, Eugene continued its streak, and Mesa put its opponent away early on Monday. South Bend was unable to pick up a win, while Myrtle Beach was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (37-39)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-4.5)
Iowa split its doubleheader at Oklahoma City with both games going into extra innings. The I-Cubs lost a slugfest in Game 1, 10-9 in nine innings. But it rebounded to win Game 2, 3-2 in eight innings.
- 3B Tommy La Stella (.667) made his first rehab appearance in Game 1, going 2 for 3 with a two-run homer (1) in the third inning.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.313) went a combined 5 for 7 with two doubles, a two-run homer (15), two runs scored and four RBI (55). He has four straight multi-hit games, including three homers.
- RF-CF John Andreoli (.237) reached multiple times in each game, going a combined 3 for 7 with a double (9), three runs scored and two walks.
- LF Matt Murton (.336) was 2 for 4 with a walk, a double (9) and two runs scored in the first game.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.316) went 2 for 3 with a two-run homer (2) and a walk in Game 2.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.269) also added a two-hit game in the nightcap.
- RHP Jake Buchanan (4.48 ERA) surrendered two earned runs and fanned eight in seven innings to pick up the Game 2 win.
Tennessee Smokies (3-2)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
The Smokies rolled past Pensacola, 12-1, in a rain-shortened six-inning contest.
- 2B Ian Happ (.733) recorded his third straight three-hit game, going 3 for 3 with a two-run homer (2), two runs scored, a sac fly and three RBI (6). In four starts with Tennessee, he has gone 11 for 15 with two doubles, two homers, six runs scored and six RBI.
- RF Billy McKinney (.264) went 2 for 3 with a triple (2), a walk, two runs scored and a season-high four RBI (26). He has hit safely in six of his last seven games.
- 3B Chesny Young (.289) was 2 for 3 with a double (9), a walk and three runs scored.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.247) and 1B Victor Caratini (.295) each collected two-hit games.
- RHP Brad Markey (2.34 ERA) gave up one earned run in six innings for the win. He has allowed two or fewer earned runs in his last nine starts.
South Bend Cubs (4-1)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend dropped its first game of the second half, falling 6-1 at home against Lake County.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.321) went 2 for 4, extending his hitting streak to eight games (.394/13 for 33). He is batting .349 (30 for 86) in 21 June contests.
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.266) went 2 for 4.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.237) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (33).
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (3 IP, 1 R, 4 SO) allowed just one unearned run and no hits in three innings.
Eugene Emeralds (8-3)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+2.0)
The Emeralds won their fourth straight game, prevailing over Spokane, 8-2.
- 3B Matt Rose (.300) went 2 for 3 with a two-run homer (2) and three RBI (10). He has hit safely in all eight games this season (9 for 30).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.171) finished 1 for 3 with two runs scored and an RBI (5).
- RHP Jesus Castillo (1.80 ERA) allowed one hit and struck out 11 batters in five innings.
Mesa Cubs (4-2)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+0.5)
Mesa led 4-0 after two innings and cruised to a 7-2 victory over the AZL Giants.
- RF Jose Gonzalez (.273) was 3 for 5 with two RBI (2).
- CF Luis Ayala (.385) went 2 for 4 with a walk, two runs scored, an RBI (7) and a stolen base (2).
- 1B Gustavo Polanco (.400) finished 2 for 4 with an RBI (2).
- RHP Erling Moreno (1.64 ERA) picked up the win, tossing six scoreless innings, striking out six.