Cubs Minor League Report: 7/4/16
Iowa’s offense led the way, Tennessee had a big inning to secure a win and Eugene also racked up most of its runs in one frame to pick up the victory Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (40-44)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.5)
The I-Cubs tallied 12 hits and defeated Omaha 4-3.
- 3B Tommy La Stella (.386) was 2 for 3 with a walk and a pair of runs in his sixth rehab game.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.288) went 2 for 4 with a two-run homer (3) in the first. He has a hit in five straight contests.
- C David Freitas (.309) led the team with three hits, going 3 for 4.
- LF Matt Murton (.327) was 2 for 4 with an RBI (26).
- RHP Armando Rivero (1 IP, 2 H, 2 SO) has not allowed a run in 10 consecutive innings.
Tennessee Smokies (7-4)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
A three-run second inning was pivotal to Tennessee’s 4-3 triumph over Jackson.
- C Ben Carhart (.241) delivered the go-ahead, three-run shot (1) in the second inning.
- 3B Chesny Young (.284) was 1 for 3 with a homer (3) and a walk.
- 2B Ian Happ (.432) went 1 for 3 with a double (3) and a stolen base (3).
- Jen-Ho Tseng (2.98 ERA) gave up three earned in seven innings to get the win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (5-7)
Carolina League (High-A)
Third Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach hitters could not plate a run as the Pelicans fell to host Winston-Salem, 8-0.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.237) reached base three times, going 2 for 3 with a double (16) and a walk. He also added a stolen base (14).
- 3B David Bote (.339) went 1 for 3 and has a hit in nine of his last 10 games. He is 15 for 33 (.455) over the span.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO) has only allowed one earned run in 23.2 IP between South Bend and Myrtle Beach.
South Bend Cubs (9-3)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
The SB-Cubs were outhit 16 to six and lost to Fort Wayne, 6-3.
- DH Jesse Hodges (.283) went 1 for 4 with a triple (3), two RBI (16) and a run scored. He has a hit in four straight games.
- C Tyler Alamo (.267) reached base twice, going 1 for 3 with a free pass.
- CF Alberto Caro (.147) was 1 for 4 with a triple (1).
- RHP John Williamson (2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) has had five straight scoreless outings, totaling seven IP.
Eugene Emeralds (13-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+5.0)
Thanks to a five-run sixth inning, Eugene beat Everett, 7-5.
- C Marcus Mastrobuoni (.222) went 2 for 4 with a pair of homers (2), including a sixth-inning grand slam. He finished with five RBI and two runs.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.324) was 3 for 4 with a run scored. He has seven multi-hit games in 17 efforts.
- 1B Chris Pieters (.339) went 2 for 4 with a walk and a run scored.
- LF Michael Foster (.133) finished with a double (2).
- RHP Tommy Nance (1.2 IP, 2 BB, 5 SO) recorded every out in his appearance via the strikeout.
Mesa Cubs (6-6)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-2.0)
The Mesa Cubs lost their third straight game, falling to the host AZL Indians, 14-2.
- LF Ruben Reyes (.296) was 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles (4) and a run scored.
- DH Isaac Paredes (.214) went 2 for 3 with a double (1), an RBI (3) and a run scored.
- 1B Gustavo Polanco (.385) snapped his nine-game hitting streak, but drove in a run (6). He was 0 for 1 with a walk overall.