Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/10/16
Tennessee battled back, Myrtle Beach had a few big innings, and South Bend scored late as all registered wins Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (41-50)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-12.0)
Iowa closed out the season’s first half with a 7-4 setback at Colorado Springs.
- LF Matt Murton (.339) went 2 for 5 with a run scored. He is batting .429 (15 for 35) in his last eight games, including six multi-hit efforts.
- CF John Andreoli (.239) was 2 for 4 with a double (12), a walk and a run scored.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.275) went 0 for 2 but walked twice, scored a run and drove in a run (16). He has reached base in 12 straight games.
- RHP Drew Rucinski (5.83 ERA) gave up one earned run in six innings.
Tennessee Smokies (8-8)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-2.0)
The Smokies rallied from a 3-0 deficit to claim a 5-4 victory over the visiting Lookouts.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.302) finished 3 for 4 with a solo homer (7) and two runs scored. He is batting .433 (13 for 30) with a .452 OBP in nine July contests.
- CF Trey Martin (.190) went 3 for 3 with a solo homer (1) and two RBI (5).
- RHP James Farris (1.2 IP, 3 SO) retired all five batters he faced, and RHP Dave Berg (1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB) collected his second save.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (9-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach scored three in the first and four in the third, cruising to a 9-1 win over Wilmington.
- 2B David Bote (.295) went 2 for 4 with a triple (1), solo homer (1), walk and two RBI (10).
- LF Charcer Burks (.232) and CF Rashad Crawford (.246) each added multi-hit games.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.269) drove in three runs, going 1 for 4 with a double (24) and a run scored. He has hit safely in six straight games (9 for 23) with six RBI.
- RHP Zach Hedges tossed six scoreless innings, striking out eight and walking none in the win. It’s his second start of at least six scoreless frames.
South Bend Cubs (13-5)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend scored in the final five frames, pulling away for a 10-6 win over Bowling Green.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.274) extended his hitting streak to 15 games (.355/22 for 62), going 1 for 4 with two runs, one RBI (49) and a stolen base (16).
- DH P.J. Higgins (.284) went 3 for 5 with two doubles (20), two runs and one RBI (24).
- RF Eddy Martinez (.268) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 2 for 4 with two doubles (19), a walk, one run scored and two RBI (46). He has five straight multi-hit games.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.293) and C Alberto Mineo (.333) each added multi-hit games. Mineo drove in three runs.
Eugene Emeralds (17-7)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+5.5)
The Emeralds allowed eight unanswered runs, falling 10-2 at home to Hillsboro.
- SS Yeiler Peguero (.280) went 3 for 4 with a double (4), run scored and two steals (2).
- RF Robert Garcia (.286) and LF Kevonte Mitchell (.200) each tripled.
- RHP Michael Knighton (2.1 IP, 3 SO) retired all seven batters he faced.
- LHP Wyatt Short (1 IP, SO) made his professional debut, retiring all three batters.
Mesa Cubs (8-9)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-2.0)
Mesa allowed a season-high tying 12 runs, falling 12-3 vs. the AZL Giants.
- 2B Jhonny Bethencourt (.194) went 2 for 4 with a double (2), triple (2), run scored and RBI (2).
- CF Luis Ayala (.354) went 2 for 5 with two RBI (11). He has hit safely in all 14 games (23 for 65).
- 1B Gustavo Polanco (.424) added two singles, going 2 for 4. He has hit safely in five straight games (.500/10 for 20).