Cubs Minor League Report: 7/15/16
South Bend split its doubleheader Thursday while Eugene and Mesa secured victories. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (41-51)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-12.0)
The I-Cubs returned from the All Star Break and lost a one-run game to Las Vegas, 3-2.
- RHP Joe Nathan (1 IP, 2 SO) made his first rehab appearance at Triple-A.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.281) went 2 for 4 with an RBI (17).
- 2B-LF Juan Perez (.255) was 2 for 2 with a run scored and a stolen base (10).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.311) went 1 for 4 and added his organization-leading 61st RBI. He is riding a seven-game hitting streak.
Tennessee Smokies (9-11)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-3.5)
The Smokies dropped the series-opening contest to host Montgomery, 6-1.
- 2B Ian Happ (.371) tallied his 10th multi-hit game at Double-A (out of 18 games with an at bat) by going 2 for 4.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.298) went 2 for 4.
- 1B Ben Carhart was 1 for 4 with a double (4), the lone extra-base hit for Tennessee.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (11-10)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach could not take advantage of a quality start and lost to Frederick, 4-3.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.227) and DH Erick Castillo (.237) both had two hits. Castillo also had an RBI (3).
- 1B David Bote (.291) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks. He also scored a pair of runs.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.269) went 1 for 4 with a double (25) and a run. His 25 doubles are tied for third place in the Carolina League.
- Trevor Clifton (3.23 ERA) registered his fourth quality start of the season with a six-strikeout effort across six innings. He allowed three earned runs.
South Bend Cubs (14-7)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-First Place (–)
The SB-Cubs split their doubleheader at Clinton. South Bend was held scoreless for 13 straight innings on the day before erupting for five runs in the seventh inning of the second game to top Clinton, 5-4.
- Preston Morrison (2.40 ERA) fanned six in 5.1 innings, giving up one earned run. He extended his consecutive scoreless innings streak to 30.1 IP before allowing a pair of runs in the third inning. It is his first loss since June 3.
- 1B P.J. Higgins (.283) went 3 for 4 with a double (21), two RBI (27) and a run in the second game.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.324) combined to go 3 for 6 with a run between the two contests.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.273) was 2 for 4 with a double (15), RBI (50) and a run in Game Two.
- RHP Dillon Maples (0.2 IP, 1 BB) notched his second save of the season in Game Two. He has not allowed a hit or a run in 3.2 IP over four appearances with South Bend.
Eugene Emeralds (18-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+5.0)
The Emeralds snapped their three-game losing streak by topping Tri-City, 4-2.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.220) went 2 for 4 with two doubles (5) and two RBI (13). It’s his third multi-RBI game of the season.
- LF Kevonte Mitchell (.207) was 1 for 4 with two RBI (8).
- CF Robert Garcia (.291) went 2 for 5 with a stolen base (4). He has a hit in six of his last seven games.
- Jose Paulino (0.64 ERA) gave up one earned run in six innings, fanning eight. He has allowed only two earned runs over 28.0 IP (five starts) so far this season. He has fanned 30 and has walked only two batters.
- RHP Jared Cheek (1 IP, 1 SO) has converted all five save opportunities this year.
Mesa Cubs (9-10)
Arizona Rookie League
Third Place (-2.0)
- SS Isaac Paredes (.269) was 4 for 4 with two runs scored and a stolen base (1). He is 6 for 8 over his last two games.
- C Jhonny Pereda (.231) went 1 for 4 with a triple (1). He also knocked in three runs (6) and scored a run.
- 1B Kevin Zamudio (.241) and CF Zach Davis (.250) both went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Javier Assad has not allowed an earned run in three of his four starts this season.
- RHP Ho-young Son (1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 SO) earned the win in his first professional pitching appearance since playing 65 games as an infielder with Mesa and Eugene in 2014-15.