Cubs Minor League Report: 7/17/16
Tennessee scored late, while both South Bend and Eugene held on for wins Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (42-53)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-12.0)
Iowa allowed four runs in the ninth inning, falling 6-2 at home vs. Las Vegas.
- LHP Brian Matusz made his first start with Iowa, surrendering two earned runs while striking out five in five innings.
- RHP Joe Nathan (1.0 IP, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 1 SO) pitched for the second straight day, striking out one in a scoreless inning. He has a 2.00 ERA (2 ER/9 IP) in 10 rehab outings between Tennessee and Iowa.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.275) was 1 for 4 with a game-tying solo homer in the seventh inning. It’s his sixth straight game with an RBI.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.310) went 1 for 3 with an RBI (63).
Tennessee Smokies (10-13)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-3.5)
The Smokies rallied for six runs over the final four frames, defeating host Montgomery, 6-4.
- CF Trey Martin (.207) was 2 for 4 with a two-run homer (2) and a season-high four RBI (10).
- 2B Ian Happ finished 2 for 5 with a double (6) and two runs scored. He is batting .333 (28 for 84) with six doubles and two homers in 22 games with Tennessee.
- C David Freitas (.276) and SS Carlos Penalver (.207) each added multi-hit games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (12-12)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
The Pelicans collected just five hits in a 7-2 setback at Winston-Salem.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.169) was 1 for 3 with a walk and a solo homer, his first with Myrtle Beach.
- 1B David Bote (.295) went 2 for 3 with an RBI (11) and a hit-by-pitch.
- LF Yasiel Balaguert (.225) reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks.
South Bend Cubs (16-8)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend took a 6-0 lead in the third inning and held on for an 8-5 win over Kane County.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.281) went 3 for 4 with a run scored. He is batting .383 (23 for 60) in 14 July contests.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.320) and 1B P.J. Higgins (.281) each tallied multi-hit games. Sepulveda has seven multi-hit games in his last nine.
- SS Bryant Flete (.220) connected on a three-run homer (2) in the third inning.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 3 SO) picked up the win, tossing 3.1 scoreless innings of relief. It marked his sixth relief outing this season of at least three innings.
Eugene Emeralds (21-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+6.0)
Eugene held on for a 7-6 win in a back-and-forth affair against Tri-City.
- LF Kevonte Mitchell (.223) was 2 for 4 with a walk, two stolen bases (8) and three runs scored.
- DH Michael Foster (.120) finished 1 for 2 with two walks and three RBI (3).
- 1B Chris Pieters (.290) went 2 for 5 with a run scored, an RBI (14) and a stolen base (10).
- RHP Michael Knighton (3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO) picked up his second win of the season, allowing just one hit and one run in three innings.