Cubs Minor League Report: 7/18/16
Tennessee had a late rally, the bats were on full display for Myrtle Beach, a big inning propelled Eugene, and Mesa was timely with its hitting. Here are some notes from Monday’s Cubs minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (42-54)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-12.0)
The I-Cubs went 2 for 11 with runners in scoring position and lost the series opener to Salt Lake, 12-7.
- Trevor Cahill allowed three runs over 2.2 IP in his first rehab appearance. He threw 57 pitches, 30 of which were strikes.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.318) tied a career-high with four hits, going 4 for 5 with a homer (16), an RBI (64) and a run scored. His .425 OBP is tops in the Pacific Coast League and is fourth-best among all qualifying full-season minor leaguers.
- CF John Andreoli (.239) went 2 for 5 with a triple (7), three RBI (43), a run scored and a stolen base (23). He has a hit in six of his last seven games with an at-bat.
- 1B Taylor Davis (.271) and 2B Kristopher Negron (.245) both had multi-hit games with a run scored. Davis added a triple (1).
Tennessee Smokies (11-13)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-3.5)
Tennessee scored two runs in the eighth and two in the ninth to sneak past Montgomery, 4-2.
- C Ben Carhart (.236) was 2 for 4, his first multi-hit game since June 18.
- CF Trey Martin (.212) went 1 for 3 with a double (1) and two RBI (12). He has six RBI in his last two games.
- 1B Victor Caratini (.286) went 1 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI (33).
- RHP Paul Blackburn (3.17 ERA) struck out seven in six innings, surrendering just one unearned run.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (13-12)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
The Pelicans set a season-high with 18 hits as they routed host Winston-Salem, 15-2.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.275) went 4 for 5 with two doubles (22), a triple (3), three RBI (46), three runs scored and a walk. He is 7 for 13 with four doubles and seven RBI in his last three games. In his last 30 games, he owns a slash line of .333/.406/.470 with 11 extra-base hits and 23 RBI.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.227) drove in a season-high-tying four runs (58). He went 2 for 6 with a pair of doubles (9).
- CF Jeffrey Baez (.235) reached base six times, going 4 for 4 with two walks. He had a double (8), scored three runs and swiped a bag (28).
- LF Charcer Burks (.241) was 3 for 6 with a double (17), two RBI (25) and two runs scored.
- 3B David Bote (.306) reached five times, going 2 for 3 with three walks. He scored twice and is batting .315 (17 for 54) with 10 walks in July.
South Bend Cubs (16-9)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend allowed runs in each of the first three innings and fell 5-2 at Kane County.
- 3B Bryant Flete (.224) homered for the second straight game, going 2 for 4 with a solo homer and two RBI (30). He has hit safely in an organizational-best eight straight games (.414/12 for 29).
- DH Jesse Hodges (.291), LF Roberto Caro (.225) and C Tyler Alamo (.258) each hit a single.
- LHP Tyler Peitzmeier (2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
Eugene Emeralds (22-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+7.0)
Thanks in part to a four-run sixth inning, the Emeralds topped Hillsboro, 6-4. Eugene is now one win away from clinching the first-half South Division title.
- Oscar De La Cruz (0.00) fanned seven batters and allowed only two hits over four innings in his Eugene debut.
- LF Robert Garcia (.300) was 2 for 4 with a double (8), the lone extra-base hit for the Ems. He added a run scored.
- 1B Chris Pieters (.299) had a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- DH Kevonte Mitchell (.224) was 1 for 4 with two RBI (10) and a run.
Mesa Cubs (12-10)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
Mesa went 4 for 7 with runners in scoring position and beat the AZL A’s, 3-2.
- LHP Jack Leathersich (1.13 ERA) pitched in his 10th game with Mesa. He has allowed only one run and four hits over eight innings, while fanning 16 and walking only three.
- RHP Dakota Mekkes (1 IP, 2 SO) and LHP Marc Huberman (1 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) made their professional debuts. Mekkes was the 10th round pick out of Michigan State, and Huberman was the 18th round selection from Southern California. Huberman picked up the win.
- RF Luis Ayala (.341) and C Jhonny Pereda (.261) had multi-hit games. Pereda also knocked in a pair of runs (9).
- 3B Kevin Zamudio (.237) had a double (6), two runs scored and a walk.
- SS Jhonny Paredes (.270) was 1 for 4 with a double (6).